GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 95 530 flash code

Mine is a slushbox and it acted like some sort of rev limiter 3500-4000, shutting the engine off until it dropped to 3500 and back up to 4000. Didn't have a chance to test it again yet. The check engine lights up during the engine shutoff and back off once it gets down to 3500.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

have you taken a look at the wires going to the fuel pump?
    The whole "acts up on hills" routine smells suspiciously like a carb'd car with a clogged fuel filter.

My ghetto troubleshooting skillset says (if those wires look ok) to toss a whole quart of marvel mystery oil into the gas, since that seems to lubricate senders and pumps (and gets sticky senders back to normal) and see what it does. The stuff really does work in that application--it also seems to quiet down pumps a little. Have you taken a fuel pressure reading yet? Maybe on a steep incline? My personal experience--as riduculous as it may sound--is that a new fuel filter can add an extra 10 PSI (on a ford taurus) of pressure after the car had been run out of gas.

Additionally--and this is a long shot--have you checked to make sure that the alternator is operating correctly throughout the range of speeds? I'll take the back seat up and run some wire to the passenger seat and connect it to a DVM; the whole "cut out at certain rpms" suggests--at least to me--that there might be a supply issue. I know that when I tried to get home after one of my alternator brush springs got soft, the fuel pump would only work under certain rev positions and I had to kill everything electrical in the car to stop it from misfiring (I'm assuming that the FP wasn't getting enough juice in that state).

EDIT: Hell, you could forget all that and simply run some jumpers from the FP electrical supply to the passenger seat, have someone else watch the meter, and try to re-create the conditions under which the problem occured. That way, you'd know if there was a certain point in which the pump voltage went to crap, and work your way out from there.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 02-11-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Jeez man it's cold and I'm not into working on the thing doing experiments. It acts just like a rev limiter, strictly when floored and exactly between 3500-4000. Bounces off at 4, drops to 3.5 and alive again. The car was not fully warm in the center but above blue. I need to get a video so you will understand but as the person I am, I have no video cam and my phone is not even a dumb phone it's older more like a stupid phone.

Hmm my wife has a phone that does video.... I will video it and upload for all to guess.

Did you check out the smilies?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ok. But what did you get for lunch?

PS. Sounds like you need a Peake code reader...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

+1 on ryan's call.
    On my car, it was both fuel pump and filters.
    The pump was failing plus the filters were all gummed up.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Definetly a sort of rev limiter that was not on the 94. Once warm it is fine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12