GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E34 530 540 power steering heavy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default E34 530 540 power steering heavy

Figured I would start a separate thread on this issue, doubt I will be spamming the board with repetitive stuff.

200K miles, calls for CHF 11S
    Looks like cloudy crap with a tint of red, might be a bit of flake or glitter from the holidays too.
    Must have been changed 170K ago, maybe.

Both the low pressure hose on the reservoir and the high side have hose clamps. Someone was in here at a time in the past... for sure.

Steering features are the same as over tightening the adjuster on top of the box.
    This is what I assumed was done as the nut behind the wheel is overtightened too.

On the freeway the wheels go whatever direction they want to while the steering wheel stays wherever you point it. No road response, Very dangerous. You seriously can't look away from the road for more than a couple milliseconds or you will die and kill everyone with you.

I was thinking about going in there and readjusting it I realized that it is a LOT of work and nobody in their right mind on a minimal payment to get the car ready for auction would do. That said I am going with the idea that whatever is in there shouldn't be and the box was not touched.

CH11S is some pricy stuff so in doing research found out that CHF 202 is the newer replacement. They can be mixed and are backwards compatible whereas the CHF 7.1 is not. Neither is ATF or anything else for that matter. No generic one size fits all, I didn't personally experiment with different fluids in the past so I wont here.

I plan to drain the fluid, turn the wheel lock to lock a few times and then add a little bit of new stuff, run it and drain it again. This worked in the 94 so well that 120K later it is still crystal clear. Never needed to change it again and that car steers like a BMW should.

I am going to use the CHF 202 simply because it is compatible and costs less. I picked up 2 litres for usd $36.80 to my door! : http://www.ebay.com/itm/151023926626...84.m1423.l2649 This is the cheapest I have found for either pentison fluids, FEBI/Bilstein etc. Since I only want to do this once I want to use a name brand product. Local stores don't even carry Febi or Pentison but that have BG, valvoline etc and some other stuff I don't want to mess with.

Anyways here is where I am starting. I will update after the new juice arrives and I swap it out. I am very optimistic that the crap in there is the problem and not the adjustment.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-10-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy