GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E34 530 540 power steering heavy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default E34 530 540 power steering heavy

Figured I would start a separate thread on this issue, doubt I will be spamming the board with repetitive stuff.

200K miles, calls for CHF 11S
    Looks like cloudy crap with a tint of red, might be a bit of flake or glitter from the holidays too.
    Must have been changed 170K ago, maybe.

Both the low pressure hose on the reservoir and the high side have hose clamps. Someone was in here at a time in the past... for sure.

Steering features are the same as over tightening the adjuster on top of the box.
    This is what I assumed was done as the nut behind the wheel is overtightened too.

On the freeway the wheels go whatever direction they want to while the steering wheel stays wherever you point it. No road response, Very dangerous. You seriously can't look away from the road for more than a couple milliseconds or you will die and kill everyone with you.

I was thinking about going in there and readjusting it I realized that it is a LOT of work and nobody in their right mind on a minimal payment to get the car ready for auction would do. That said I am going with the idea that whatever is in there shouldn't be and the box was not touched.

CH11S is some pricy stuff so in doing research found out that CHF 202 is the newer replacement. They can be mixed and are backwards compatible whereas the CHF 7.1 is not. Neither is ATF or anything else for that matter. No generic one size fits all, I didn't personally experiment with different fluids in the past so I wont here.

I plan to drain the fluid, turn the wheel lock to lock a few times and then add a little bit of new stuff, run it and drain it again. This worked in the 94 so well that 120K later it is still crystal clear. Never needed to change it again and that car steers like a BMW should.

I am going to use the CHF 202 simply because it is compatible and costs less. I picked up 2 litres for usd $36.80 to my door! : http://www.ebay.com/itm/151023926626...84.m1423.l2649 This is the cheapest I have found for either pentison fluids, FEBI/Bilstein etc. Since I only want to do this once I want to use a name brand product. Local stores don't even carry Febi or Pentison but that have BG, valvoline etc and some other stuff I don't want to mess with.

Anyways here is where I am starting. I will update after the new juice arrives and I swap it out. I am very optimistic that the crap in there is the problem and not the adjustment.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-10-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

@Regal, I'm interested in what you are doing, why your doing it and how your doing it. Your timing is impeccable, as I'm doing the exact same thing with my E34 540i but for a different reason, my power steering pump was leaking, so I procured a new one ex USA and some Pentosin CHF 11S (only place I could find that stocked it, was my local BMW dealer) at a cost of AUS$35.00 / Ltr. So at this cost + the expensive pump I hope this is the answer for my woes.

Please post regular updates as I am only half a step behind you :-)

Jeff, great thread. I sure hope your steering box is not snarfed!

I've seen gold sparkles in the fluid as a result of pump wear in older v belt (non LAD) systems. The sintered filter collects it up in the reservoir.

Clearly it is difficult in your position, I always have trouble decideing how tight to make the nut (bolt) behind the wheel and have never done more than a 1/4 of a turn on the steering box myself as so many say don't touch.

Just read the specs on the Pentosin website: Both fluids appear quite similar but I wonder if we can use 202 why is BMW not doing so. It is not listed as approved so I assume BMW has a reason other than being (very) slow. But who knows... maybe Pentosin make the cost of 202 to the production line the same but charge more for 11S in the aftermarket. Maybe 202 is very similar but not actually as good. Who knows!

(Subscribed)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Jeff, great thread. I sure hope your steering box is not snarfed!

I've seen gold sparkles in the fluid as a result of pump wear in older v belt (non LAD) systems. The sintered filter collects it up in the reservoir.

Clearly it is difficult in your position, I always have trouble decideing how tight to make the nut (bolt) behind the wheel and have never done more than a 1/4 of a turn on the steering box myself as so many say don't touch.

Just read the specs on the Pentosin website: Both fluids appear quite similar but I wonder if we can use 202 why is BMW not doing so. It is not listed as approved so I assume BMW has a reason other than being (very) slow. But who knows... maybe Pentosin make the cost of 202 to the production line the same but charge more for 11S in the aftermarket. Maybe 202 is very similar but not actually as good. Who knows!

(Subscribed)
    202 is the replacement for CHF11S CHF11s is not being produced anymore (far as I can tell). Compatibility is 100% according to pentison with chf11S. Do not mix this with CHF7.1 as the additives drop out and can cause a cavitating condition.

The stuff is approved by me. Let them do their politics, I just learned the new stuff is compatible and cheaper if you can find it. Hard to find owners that actually change this stuff every 2 years. I want my stuff to last, not for a week till I sell stuff. Why spend 20 when you can spend 25 and good forever?
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-14-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    202 is the replacement for CHF11S CHF11s is not being produced anymore (far as I can tell)
    How do you know this? The pentosin.com website shows both side by side.

But I agree with your sentiments- esp. if the FEBI 6161S fluid has not caused any problems yet, as Erich suggested...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    How do you know this?
    Because

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    The stuff is approved by me.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Both are still available at the local NAPA down here in Tampa
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

You can use a product from Febi Bilstein, that is compatible and cheaper.
    They have one as replacement for Pentosin CHF 7.1 and the other one is for Pentosin CHF 11S.
    06162 aka M6162 = mineral based in the white bottle is for 7.1
    •Mineral oil-based
    •Size: 1 liter (1.06 quarts)
    •Color: Green
    •Equivalent of the discontinued Pentosin CHF 7.1

Fits:
    •Audi/Volkswagen (1984-1989)
    •BMW (1987-09/1991)
    •Volvo (1995-1998)

•Ideal for cold weather climates
    •Operating temperature range from -40ºF (-40ºC) to +275ºF (+135ºC)
    •Works perfectly under extreme temperature changes
    •Used by more than 25 global vehicle manufacturers as OE first-fill
    •Meets DIN 51 524T3 and ISO 7308 specification standards

Febi S 6161 is for CHF11S replacement or mixing

Spent more time getting the car on ramps than actually changing the fluid. That was sure some ugly fluid. Did not do a fantastic flush just drained filled and drained again (rotating the steering for more drain). I would like to do it again after I see what the leak is all about. Hard to tell but looks like the gearbox seal by the bottom of the shaft, then again everything is wet on top of the compartment. Doesn't seem to be leaking at the ends of any hoses I can see, all clamps were snug. Another day I will crawl in there again.

Steering is like brand new, not heavy at all and returns to center like it should. Amazing what the wrong fluid can cause.

PS this CHF 202 is a light blue color, not sure if I would consider it as green like CHF 11S or the Febi 6161.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Steering is like brand new, not heavy at all and returns to center like it should. Amazing what the wrong fluid can cause.
    PS this CHF 202 is a light blue color, not sure if I would consider it as green like CHF 11S or the Febi 6161.
    Good to hear Jeff, congrats! A result indeed.

BTW: Your blue is their green:

Fr the spec sheet:

Pentosin CHF 202

Appearance green, clear DIN 10964

Density at 15 °C kg/m³ 840 DIN EN ISO 12185

Kinematic Viscosity at 100 °C mm²/s 6,1 DIN EN ISO 3104

Kinematic Viscosity at 40 °C mm²/s 19,3 DIN EN ISO 3104

Kinematic Viscosity at -40 °C mm²/s 1400 DIN EN ISO 3104

Viscosity Index 302 DIN ISO 2909

Flash Point °C 154 DIN EN ISO 2592

Pour Point °C -54 ISO 3016

FZG wear test (A/8.3/90) Failure Load Stage 11 DIN ISO 14635-1

Interestingly, BMW is the only manufacturer NOT approving 202- all the others who previously used CHF11S do. I wonder if they (VW,Volvo, etc) are instructing dealers that 202 is a replacement for 11S...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast