GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E34 530 540 power steering heavy

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    petroleum jelly has a melting point is a shade over body temperature, so it won't last behind the wheel once the sun hits the windscreen. You need some carbon grease with a high melting point for the airbag and horn rings.
    Bearing grease or lithium grease be fine? Now that I have ventured in here I am not shy to go in again. It was very cold when I did this so I used weak Vaseline... primarily because I couldn't find the lithium.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Update, I think the petroleum jelly is getting tired. Need to upgrade to lithium and get more than 1 year out of it. The summer didn't seem to make a difference although I'm pretty sure it has no lube now.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Well the vasoline is still working, don't fix it if it aint broke.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Nice thread..BTW I used Liqui Moly ATF III on my E34, when I emptied the steering lines. I hope this wasn't the wrong one.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1989 E34 535i
    M30B35 six cylinder, single overhead camshaft, 3.43 L, multi-point fuel injection

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Well the vasoline is still working, don't fix it if it aint broke.
    Maybe something is lost in translation, here in Oz, Vaseline is petroleum jelly.

The right grease for the job (conductive and high melting point) is probably referred to as 'Carbon Grease'. Not sure if it is what BMW uses on these contacts exactly, but it is probably something like this.

For non-conductive greases, attached below are some summaries of the main properties/types:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by genphreak; 05-31-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_89 View Post
    Nice thread..BTW I used Liqui Moly ATF III on my E34, when I emptied the steering lines. I hope this wasn't the wrong one.
    Fine for any of the 4 speed autos- and some of the 5 speeders too, (HP18EH) with the black ID plate. If you have green plate, you need to use the BMW lifetime (or appropriate synthetic*) fluids.

* Meaning they meet the published BMW/ZF fluid specs

LiquiMoly make very good lubes- your tranny should like that stuff, just make sure you do several changes- to have a hope of getting rid of the older fluid.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Maybe something is lost in translation, here in Oz, Vaseline is petroleum jelly.

That's the stuff. All I had at the time.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Update a couple years later...

Stiff steering back when real cold, turn signal sticking with the wheel and moving when turning. Christmas day and 70 degrees, perfect to check this out and lube it proper this time. Took it all apart and as mentioned above the vasoline (petrolium jelly) was virtually non existant. Not sure why its so tight but took it apart and used lithium grease under the brass clamp. Since it isn't cold can't be positive it is fixed yet. Almost broke that airbag connector that I hot glued. This isn't real easy to do without pulling wires while removing the wheel etc. Patence is not me forte, if I had patients I am in the wrong business.

Here is a picture I stole off the net of the brass clamp thing I failed to photo myself but shows exactly whats up:

If you look under that knife there is an access slot for a small screwdriver which is what I did. All you need to do is clean the brass deal and the plastic it rides against and then lube it up. Amazing such a small thing can cause such a big drag issue and noise in turning the wheel but it does.

Last edited by 632 Regal; 12-25-2016 at 06:13 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Lithium is way to heavy below 35F, it causes the slip ring to pop out of position and pull the airbag wire out. Cleaned it up and just put a small amount on it. Still seems tight at 60F. Not sure what I want to do yet. Might just put it together to see how it works in the cold, might be that petroleum jelly is slipperier... might use pet jelly again cause I had no issue last winter and it was much colder then. Yep that's what I'm going to use.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Did the trick, no problems at all in the cold like it did with lithium.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast