GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Restoration of my 1995 BMW 540i E34 Seats (Off Topic)

Default Leather Restoration of my 1995 BMW 540i E34 Seats (Off Topic)

I just thought I'd post some pictures of my Seats after I had restored them as it was with the kind advice from some of you that lead me on to Leatherique Products.

I must admit I was a bit skeptical of how good they would turn out but for the cost differential of AUS$260 V's AUS$3,700.00 for new skins it was a "No Brainer".

Click on the link to see the before and after pictures. http://youtu.be/vgVfaHrn9U4

FYI, I just finished doing the respray later yesterday afternoon, so today it gets unveiled. Woo Hoo !!! can't wait.

Impressive. I just replaced my sun damaged rear seat back with a better, almost perfect, rear seat back for $50 US. Going to have my driver's back and bottom seats recovered with leather from a passenger seat. Bit more complicated since I have heated seats. My door panels look excellent. I and the PO kept the car garaged at night and I had overed parking during the day for several years. helped a lot.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

very very impressive

Brilliant, thanks for posting the link. I have done it on black but not with the dye. Will do it again now... and do the grey ones in the touring too. Excellent work, yip!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

@ genphreak, no problem mate, glad it has inspired you to have a go. I just received a Steering Wheel restoration Kit from Rob at PPC (Warriewood, Sydney) this morning, so I'm looking forward to seeing how well the steering wheel turns out as well. Let Rob know (if you're buying from him) that you saw the Video I did on BimmerNuts and mention my name, you just never know your luck >wink<

Name:  IMG_1065.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  93.1 KB

That looks excellent! What is the steering wheel kit worth?

I buy mine from the distributor in Pymble, he's closer.

Here's a tip- if your wheel is loose at the top (when holding it you can twist the leather and padding underneath back and forth- (easy to feel as at the side near the spokes it is nearly always solid), the glue sticking the foam padding to the steel ring in the middle will have given way. To fix, just use a hypodermic syringe to inject some glue inside. I think contact glue is ideal, but super glue apparently works without the hypodermic if you drill a few small holes around the inside where the padding has become loose- just large enough to accept the nozzle. Don't squeeze too hard! and be ready to wipe the excess off (prtect your eyes too, jic!)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    That looks excellent! What is the steering wheel kit worth?

I buy mine from the distributor in Pymble, he's closer.

Here's a tip- if your wheel is loose at the top (when holding it you can twist the leather and padding underneath back and forth- (easy to feel as at the side near the spokes it is nearly always solid), the glue sticking the foam padding to the steel ring in the middle will have given way. To fix, just use a hypodermic syringe to inject some glue inside. I think contact glue is ideal, but super glue apparently works without the hypodermic if you drill a few small holes around the inside where the padding has become loose- just large enough to accept the nozzle. Don't squeeze too hard! and be ready to wipe the excess off (prtect your eyes too, jic!)
    Good tip Txs, but I'm happy to say that the leather and padding are tight still, even after 300K plus Klms. But if it does come loose at least I know how to fix it now, txs to your handy tip.
    The only reason I mentioned Rob and PPC is that when I was talking to him prior to Xmas, we were discussing discounts for members that contacted him. >wink< The cost of the steering wheel restoration Kit is $65 Aus, which is a damn sight cheeper than replacing it with an OEM or even a good quality aftermarket one.
    Last edited by TechnoWeeny; 12-27-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeeny View Post
    Good tip Txs, but I'm happy to say that the leather and padding are tight still, even after 300K plus Klms. But if it does come loose at least I know how to fix it now, txs to your handy tip.
    The only reason I mentioned Rob and PPC is that when I was talking to him prior to Xmas, we were discussing discounts for members that contacted him. >wink< The cost of the steering wheel restoration Kit is $65 Aus, which is a damn sight cheeper than replacing it with an OEM or even a good quality aftermarket one.
    OK, I'll make sure I talk to him then We need to win some reputation back amongst these guys... lol! Happy to go see him. If that kit can fix the worn leather on any of my wheels, it'll be worth it. Def will get that and see... What a brilliant post- thanks mate!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    OK, I'll make sure I talk to him then We need to win some reputation back amongst these guys... lol! Happy to go see him. If that kit can fix the worn leather on any of my wheels, it'll be worth it. Def will get that and see... What a brilliant post- thanks mate!
    You folks on here have helped me tremendously while I am going through the process (and Enjoyment) of refurbishing my much loved E34 540i, so if I have given a bit back to the group and been able to get you guys some Kudos with the suppliers, I'm pleased to be able to make my contribution.

Here's a thought for you to consider. Rob has asked me to do a promo video for him on refurbishing some Leather seats, I'm happy to do a set for you if you want to finance the shipping to Brisbane and back and a couple of hundred for the products and consumables? I'm happy to do the work at mates rates for you. Let me know via a PVT message (@genphreak).

You folks on here have helped me tremendously while I am going through the process (and Enjoyment) of refurbishing my much loved E34 540i, so if I have given a bit back to the group and been able to get you guys some Kudos with the suppliers, I'm pleased to be able to make my contribution.
    Well that is ok, it's the whole point- but thanks for saying tho.!

Here's a thought for you to consider. Rob has asked me to do a promo video for him on refurbishing some Leather seats, I'm happy to do a set for you if you want to finance the shipping to Brisbane and back and a couple of hundred for the products and consumables? I'm happy to do the work at mates rates for you. Let me know via a PVT message.
    Dude it is a very kind offer but the shipping would kill me and risks damaging the seats. Also, I've done it before and am pretty handy- plus have the space. Just haven't done grey ones yet. I'd like to know how soft yours now are, but will try doing it to see. At least there is no need to re-cover the comforts (though I'd prefer to do that time-wise) and I have a set of sun-damaged black sport seats that rejuvinator oil just will not soften the base covers on.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast