GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat Back Fix - Permanent FOREVER fix? (Not shorten the cable...)

Default Seat Back Fix - Permanent FOREVER fix? (Not shorten the cable...)

Hi,
    I've been on the board since the 'olden days and thanks about 90% to this board I've had my schwartz baby 'Geil for 12 years and 180k+ miles.

BUT.... I'm TIRED of fixing the seat twist. Been there, done, that, could do it with my eyes closed.

Replaced seat gearboxes too when the plastic teeth break and don't engage the worm gear.

Question - Has anyone just made some brackets to PERMANENTLY keep the seat at a comfortable angle of incline?

...if not... I'm about to... and looking for ideas/input....

I don't have time anymore to be constantly tinkering with little stuff on the car... window lift plastics, seat backs...

LOVE THE CAR and plan to keep it, ALWAYS a joy to drive... Thanks for your patience. Now, onward to no more seat cables!
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

So far I have only fixed on my car the passenger seat once and the driver seat is still the original setting and working well, and my car is from 1988. But that is an E32. Not sure if there are more probs on E34 seats.
    Why do you not buy complete new bowden cables and install them, they should last at least for the next 10 years. You just have to make sure to buy the correct ones. For example on the E32 there were 2 seat makers and the bowden cables have slightly different lengths. Safest is to check the original bowden cables, there are outside the part numbers and also the length shown on the bowden cable.

Shogun, thank you for the encouragement.

I replaced the cables probably 5 years ago.... and the slip now I think is another gearbox. :-(

Maybe I should just replace all the gears and cables. Do you know if the E34 uses E36 gears?
    Odometer Gears - BMW - 3 Series E36 90-00
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

I do not know if E34 use E36 gears, I have a E32, someone with more E34 knowledge has to answer that question.
    Did you check on RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog the part numbers with part number cross reference? Search for the correct part number for your car on realoem, then go back to realoem and paste that number into the search by part number and all BMW will be shown which have the same part number.

I have just shortened the outer cases on my E34 540i as per Shoguns Handy Hints and they are working really well. I still have the seats out of the car so if you need the OEM Part #, let me know and I can go check for you if that is of any assistance?

on my 535is i never had any trouble with the seats
    Gone but not forgotten

Subjective perhaps, but memory seats (or those that get used a lot by people with varying geometries will wear more).

When a car is used by many people and the seat adjusted each time, the components suffer more wear. Has anyone with electric seats adjusted them intensively over years and years and not suffered cable and gearbox problems? They should work fine for years if they just sit there static most of the time...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I have gearboxes somewhere in a box, fixed my cable once and has not failed. I think Genphreak is onto something.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Hi Jeff, same with me. I fixed mine once when i first got the car and haven't had to mess with them anymore. I do lots of customers though but also only once.

same here, regular site fix (accredited to so many, hard to name all, u know who u are), no probs so far.I think Nick is correct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast