GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crank sensor

Unregistered Guest

Default crank sensor

I drove my '90 525 from DC to NY last night and everything was fine. After parking and trying to restart the car it wouldnt turn over. I had a mechanic take a quick look at it and he told me it was the crank sensor. Anyway I managed to find the part and it seems fairly easy to install however the positioning of it makes it difficult. Can anyone provide me with any information on replacing this part? Another thing I noticed is that on the plug end (the end on the right side of the engine if you were facing the car and between the engine and transmission) there are two plugs that feel identical. One in front of the other. The one that is closest to the front of the car leads to the crank sensor i believe, what is the other one for? on my car it is just a loose wire and it looks to have been cut or broken, can anyone tell me what this if for? I know this is fairly vague information but I honestly don't know too much about this stuff (still trying to learn) and I tried to describe it as well as I can right now. It's been a long day. If there is anything else that needs describing please let me know and I will try. Any information will be greatly appreciated im in a real bind right now as I am stuck in NY and need to be to work on Monday morning. It is very difficult to find a mechanic in NY on a sunday.

if it won't turn over it's not your crank sensor, if it turns over but no spark/fuel pump/injector pulse the crank sensor is a likely canadate, a quick test to see if the main relay is supplying power to the computer, with the key in run position the idel control valve will lightly hum (it's about a 4" long cylinder by the throttle body with a 3 wire plug) if you have spark and fuel pump but no injectors look at the plug about 1 foot below the throttle body, that's for the two temp sensors and the fuel injectors, it can corrode and do all kinds of fun things. if it just plane wont turn over try jumping the starter, a wire/screwdriver/pliers will do, jump from the 10mm nut to the 13mm nut on the starter solonoid and it will engauge and spin the motor, with the key on it will start this way if the ignition switch partially died and won't trigger the starter

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I drove my '90 525 from DC to NY last night and everything was fine. After parking and trying to restart the car it wouldnt turn over. I had a mechanic take a quick look at it and he told me it was the crank sensor. Anyway I managed to find the part and it seems fairly easy to install however the positioning of it makes it difficult. Can anyone provide me with any information on replacing this part? Another thing I noticed is that on the plug end (the end on the right side of the engine if you were facing the car and between the engine and transmission) there are two plugs that feel identical. One in front of the other. The one that is closest to the front of the car leads to the crank sensor i believe, what is the other one for? on my car it is just a loose wire and it looks to have been cut or broken, can anyone tell me what this if for? I know this is fairly vague information but I honestly don't know too much about this stuff (still trying to learn) and I tried to describe it as well as I can right now. It's been a long day. If there is anything else that needs describing please let me know and I will try. Any information will be greatly appreciated im in a real bind right now as I am stuck in NY and need to be to work on Monday morning. It is very difficult to find a mechanic in NY on a sunday.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Unregistered Guest

Default it turns over but no spark/fuel pump/injector pulse ...

the mechanic ran a few quick tests on it too and the crank sensor is what he came up with. Im praying thats what it is.Does anybody know anything about the process for changing this?

Unregistered Guest

Default please

is there anyone that can help me? i also apologize that I have not signed in, i am a member here but I can't remember my password for the life of me. Please if anyone can help im in a real dilemma here.

im going to walmart to get some stuff to repair a tire...if nobody's chimed in by the time i get back then ill help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    is there anyone that can help me? i also apologize that I have not signed in, i am a member here but I can't remember my password for the life of me. Please if anyone can help im in a real dilemma here.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default does the check....

engine light come on when you tried to turn it over? if it is indeed turning over, like you said, it might have thrown a code into the computer that you can read and be assured that it is the CPS via the stomp test. autozone and discount autoparts aren't likely to have this part in stock, it usually takes a couple of days for them to get it, and its about 120. I think bma sells it for around 90 or so.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Unregistered Guest

Default the check engine light does come on...

and i did the stomp test but i dont understand any of the codes. I already found the CPS its just a matter of installing it. It seems fairly easy but the plug end (with the prongs) is in a very awkward position. I need information on changing this part.thanks

if you already have another CPS, i don't understand what your question is....just follow the wire back, squeeze the connector to release the wire clip, pull it out, and unbolt the CPS from the front of the engine....i don't have an m20 engine, and bentley doesn't provide pictures for it, so i don't know if there is a radiator hose blocking the allen screw to remove it. If it is helpful to you (AND YOU KNOW HOW TO BLEED THE COOLING SYSTEM), remove the hose to get access to it. if you don't know how to bleed it, DONT remove the hose, just try really hard to unscrew it how it is.

Unregistered Guest

Default i think we have different engines

because the instructions you are giving dont sound like the piece I am referring too. Im not really sure how to describe it any better. I'll just have to figure something else out. I appreciate your help anyway though. By the way, a S700 v14? wtf!? i didn't even know this existed, what a friggin monster!

1.....the car in my nameplate doesn't exist, its from the 1999 song entitled "bling bling" by bg, et al. I put it there to be facetious, bg put it in the song to emphasize how exclusive his "****" is. Soooo many of America's problems originated with that song...

the car i drive is a 1992 525i. i have the 24v m50. if we are talking about the crank position sensor here....it SHOULD be in the front of your engine just above a sprocket or belt. its about 3/4 inches long, cylindrical. there should be an allen bolt securing it. if the part that you have isn't in front of the engine, it is not the CPS. ill see if i can scare up a pic of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast