GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i never thought 25m.p.g. would be possible.....

Default i never thought 25m.p.g. would be possible.....

i took a 280 mile trip on the pa turnpike in the 1995 540i/a. the obc claimed 24.5, but actual was 25.1 m.p.g.. i am amazed this 3800lb. car could get this.
    i am making the same trip this week again & i'm anxious to see how well it does again.
    tim s.

Default I have averaged 26 mpg in my 1991 ///M5...

highway driving for somewhat long distances, the car manages very well. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that it is still fairly new, with only 52k miles, everything is still operating at peak performance. Even with the air conditioning on, I believe it still gets around 23mpg.

You guys are not driving fast enough
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I got an average of 25mpg on a 1200 mile trip i had to fill up 3 times, not to bad considering i got 200k miles on it

I pulled just short of 28 on a trip to Florida from NC. 85 to 90 on the highway with 2 bikes and stuff on the roof and the AC on. Not too shabby.

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

I've gotten 26 on long drives. 80 mph in 6th gear
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

the m50 got 31.2 mpg going 1450 miles in 19 hours (or 76 mph INCLUDING bathroom breaks) as I was driving much faster than that at nightime (85-90). we got stuck in atlanta traffic on return, so 28.1 mpg over 1500 miles in 20.5 hours. then again, the return trip started off with a tank of no name 87 octane, which might have something to do with it.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Ryan, how do you get 30+ out of this thing? I wish I could, I guess if I was a bit more frugal I'd see that. That would take all of the fun out of driving though. My sea level mpg (around Destin) was a bit higher.

the bg44k did absolute wonders for my car....best 17 bucks i ever spent on an improvement. i'm finding that i can get 30 mpg at a cruise controlled 70 now, 100% ac use, even with fat 10w40 conventional oil. if you get periodic fuel injector cleanings, it might not help as much as it did for me. the OBC also reported severely inaccurate readings, when i got to toronto, i was kinda upset that the thing was showing about 24.0 mpg. it was only when i added up the receipts for gas that i realised that it was about 31 mpg. If i could have driven the entire distance myself, I might have been able to hit 33 or 34 mpg, but my sis (who is an awful driver) took over while i cat napped. i was using m1 0w40 with tire inflation set for maximum passenger/cargo (i like it set hard). after that trip, my gas mileage only seems to be going higher and higher, guess it did it good. my only problem with the bg44k is that it is nasty on motor oil, it is not like techron which you can be ignorant of and dump it in for 2k miles with no ill effects. within 6 hours of beginning the trip, I was down about 1/3 quart from the bg burning it off.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Try taking it to a honda dealer and...

trade it in on a new Civic.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm
    Ryan, how do you get 30+ out of this thing? I wish I could, I guess if I was a bit more frugal I'd see that. That would take all of the fun out of driving though. My sea level mpg (around Destin) was a bit higher.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast