GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New key ripoff

Default New key ripoff

Sorry to say I have lost the remote key and need to get another, the stealership have quoted me a heart stopping price to replace it. Since I am in Australia I wondered if members from other countries could call their local BMW dealers and ask for a price for a two button remote for a 1995 525i and post it here, even better if someone from Germany could find out how much the factory charges for them ( or someone with contacts) as I would like to find out just how much I am being ripped off for. I can't believe what they are charging me for a key to a car built in 1995, it's not like the newer ones it is just a simple two button lock/unlock system, I will reveal the price if I get a couple of replies and can show the price difference.
    1995 525i 225,000km Still stock for now

i wont cos its prolly even more here
    Gone but not forgotten

what is the part number, then I can tell you the price in Germany, you can find out the part number on RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

You mean the switchblade infrared remote?
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...art%20Nbrs.jpg
    Up to date part numbers are here
    part numbers for switchblade key parts
    66 10 1 390 263 infrared key remote control
    51 21 1 388 909 countersunk rivet for the key
    51 21 1 950 394 blank key for IR remote control
    66 10 1 390 655 cover = lower part of the remote control

If so, I have a used switchblade here and some blank keys and countersunk rivets/screws. Maybe I also could get you one switchblade from my dealer in Germany, but not the cut key

The problem is, no one can order for you a cut key, as usually one has to show ID card and proof of ownership of the car.
    But in case you have another key, a blank key will do and you have to find a locksmith which can make the correct version for your lock.
    Last edited by shogun; 08-02-2013 at 11:11 AM.

The part number is 51218366437 according to the parts guy. I am not sure if it makes a difference but I have the EWS system in the car and from some things I have read there is a chip in the key that responds to the ignition system and lets the key start the car. I hope SHOGUN ( wizard of all things BMW) can explain it, I am using the spare key for now and it looks like a normal key so I don't know if there is a chip (like the ones vets use in animals) that responds to a signal from the ignition with the correct code to allow the car to start. If this is the case I might be stuck paying $630AUD so the key has the right code in it or are there any compatible seperate remotes that will at least turn the alarm on/off and lock/unlock the doors.

I was only interested to compare prices in different countries as from reading various forums all parts here seem to cost a huge amount more than the US or UK.

German price BMW Original Teile online bestellen www.online-teile.com/bmw - BMW Teile Online
    [ Details ] 51218366437 Generalschlüssel Mit Fernbet. (Code)
    master key with remote (code)
    156,31 EUR

Here cheaper at US$ 133 51218366437 - OEM Bmw

List Price : $ 166.29 Your Price : $ 133.03
    try if they sell it to you to OZ.

RealOEM.com * Part Cross-reference

That seems to be with a chip code inside, but what you can do it to transplant the chip into a new key.

Ebay Australia has this
    BRAND NEW & UNCUT BMW REMOTE KEY 3, 5, 7 SERIES, Z3, Z4, Z8 - VIRGIN TRANSPONDER
    Brand NEW Uncut BMW Remote KEY 3 5 7 Series Z3 Z4 Z8 Virgin Transponder | eBay
    changing the innards BMW e39 Folding Flip Key Case Shell Refit - YouTube
    Move inside of 523i E39 BMW remote Key for central locking to new blank and change battery - YouTube

DIY - easy way to make a brand new diamond key work in your older car (96-00) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

and here you can get it in Australia for about $260 directly from Germany, at least they say so
    BMW Original Master Remote Key for E36, E32, Z3, E34 and E24 | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Ballina Area - Tintenbar

Your 95 has a transponder code in each key, even the 'normal looking spare'.

IIRC, they charge something like $300 for the normal key with the buttons (what did BMW quote you?).

Doesn't seem too bad, but surely not cheap (considering it's a newly cut custom key)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks for that mate I checked out the last one (Gumtree) and it turns out to be a rep for bimmernav and they say they order direct from BMW Germany like the dealer but don't double the price. My only worry is they want me to send a copy of rego papers and licence before they will order and I am looking into the company before I do this since these papers contain a lot of info so want to be sure it is legit.

They need it, otherwise hey cannot order. I had the same when I ordered a spare key from my dealer in Germany for my E36 M3, BMW HQ does not make keys without that the dealer provides the owners documents like registration of the car and copy of owner's ID card. I also had to send it to my parts guy in Germany by email. That is an official BMW dealer there.
    That is just for safety, otherwise everyone knowing a VIN could order spare keys for any car.

They might need it, but License numbers in Australia are not something you should ever send via plain text, even when the fate of your Bimmer is at stake! The number never changes (a passport number does) and can always be used to identify you Passports are not a document you want to publish either.

I suggest you never send your license to an untrusted party, or leave copies anywhere, and certainly never send it via unsecured transmission.

You can just show it to the stealer who is ordering the key and pay a known figure. The risk otherwise is enabling data trolls to intercept, steal and make money selling your data to the N5A, Organised Crime gangs, terrorrists, etc. They will have all the data they need to open an account in your name (for example). Using it, your identity can be assumed at any point in future and may be unable to find out what caused it (or do much about the chaos that can rain down).

If maybe, when is more likely.

You can buy a newly cut standard key from BMW for <$50 (no transponder) and use another transponder chip (from probably any manufacturer which simply mounts into a key such as the popular switchblade that you can buy online).

If you have a spare key for the car, a key cutter can use it to cut a blank switchblade for you and probably sell you a transponder chip. They are available online for about $5 each. EWS can be programmed to work with transponder chips (they accept up to 10 new keys).

Transponder chip:

Name:  T5transponder.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  17.4 KB

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks
    genphreak you understand my problem I know for security they need the proof I am the owner but worry about identity theft. I have a friend in the AFP fraud devision checking out the company, he also has links with the police in the US. I wonder who this person in Australia on gumtree is and what connection he has with bimmernav ( the mob who supply the key) in the US. I want this to be a ligit service since dealers here charge more than double what it costs to buy the key from BMW to supply a key to an older car, not like it one of the latest versions for newer cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast