GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new 5 series

Default Time for a new 5 series

i like my little 1120 d manual but at 6 3 i want sometning a wee bit more spacious.Not sure if it will be a sedan or touring but almost certain it will be e 60 or 61.Any one have experience of these.I deally it would be a 535d or 530 d but could be a 545 or 550

i do know there is a e34 540 6 speed for sale....
    Gone but not forgotten

E34 540 6 speed, hmmmm. sounds good, real good, wouldn't be to many of those in NZ me thinks

I've just purchased an 06 E61 530i with the N52 engine. Its a beautiful car to drive. It was cheap and came with problems which I've been able to solve myself. So far its been easy to work on, parts have been priced the same as the e34 and the Bentley manual is even better than the E34s. Its my wife's car and I'm still driving my E34, but I could easily see myself driving an e60. Only design flaws that I've seen so far are electric modules under the space saver spare getting wet, and water getting in there because of leaks around the tail lights and blockages in the panoramic sunroof drains (stupid valves on the end of the rear drain that gets clogged with dirt). The computers in it are much more complex than the E34, but there are lots of options out there to DIY computer maintenance. I'm a huge fan of the straight sixes. Easy to work on, very smooth and plenty of go for me.

Congrats Myles!

Maybe you should out think Klaus and Hans (the fluids engineers responsible for the roof plumbing) and set up a bilge reservoir and mini bilge pump to deal with coming blockages before they cause a problem. Else you could do something complicated like drill in some drainage holes (with ingress flaps of course, the way they would have done it on an e28).

But check first they haven't already done that somewhere unexpected...

I'm still not a big fan of the e60 though it has grown on me. I really do however like the really new F10 5er Jacek Fröhlich penned; both the overall line and the interior. The sleeker design takes them back to having a waist line which I find missing on many modern cars. No matter the detail though, any 5er is a 5er; all amazing machines. I certainly am not stumping up for an F10/F11 just yet though either...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thank you. I have to admit that I was shocked at the appearance of the e60 when I first saw it, but it quickly became one of my favourites. The front of the e65 pre lci never grew on me though, so I can understand how many people feel about modern BMs. I always thought that the interior of the F10 was nicer than the e60, but now that I own an E60 I have to say its very very nice.

The sunroof issues are resolved by firstly relocating the modules under the spare wheel. The wiring is long enough to move them to one side up higher. The sunroof drains have been redesigned so that the blockages don't happen as easily. And by using new seals around the tail lights and using more care than the average panel repairer those leaks are easily fixed too.

Other things that are probably worth mentioning. The whole engine design is so different to the old M30. The valvetronic, vanos, electric waterpump and thermostat, vacuum pump and disa systems. Plus the magnesium alloy block makes it a whole new experience. Ours also has active steering which is magnificent.

I'm pulling the roof lining out this weekend and examining the sunroof system and repairing a wiring loom problem at the tailgate hinge. That'll be everything sorted out for now.

Paul, I hope you have been troubled by the quakes over there lately and good luck with the car hunting.

My 2004 e60 530 has been extremely reliable. It's at 142,000 miles and I'm on the first clutch and first set of control arm bushings. I've had to do nothing to it, and it still drives like new. I ;pved my E34's but they do need tender loving care. The E60 drives and drives with zero maintenance.

I have the comfort seats, and they are the most comfortable seats in the world. Can drive forever even with my bad back. Even better than the comfort seats in my E38.

Name:  bmw.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  94.6 KB

And the fuel economy has gotten better with age.

A Bimmer Nut '99 Z3, '06 330cicm zhp, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com

The above pic was fuel economy driving 70 mph for half hour.

Here's 60 mph for hour and a half getting almost 37 mpg. wow

And non of this is down hill! It's in flat old Illinois.

Name:  bmw2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  51.0 KB

A Bimmer Nut '99 Z3, '06 330cicm zhp, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com

Aww I have to say I am a tad jealous...

Just one thing though...

"I'm pulling the roof lining out this weekend and examining the sunroof system and repairing a wiring loom problem at the tailgate hinge"

The tailgate loom... at the hinge? Really? That old chestnut?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Yep, that old chestnut. They have designed it differently, but I think the problem remains. I'll know more in a few days.

Oh, Ye Gods!

Was at the local electronics store today, they had all manner of plastic sheaths which will help (on e34).

On an e34 Touring BMW use an aluminum sheath. This is not so good as it sits in the jam and gets wet. I'm tempted to re-wire mine with Cat5 cable and use some plastic sheath instead. On the e34 sedan, there is no sheath on the tailgate wiring, but adding one would prevent the wires breaking near the fastener on the body (under the rear deck).

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast