GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E60 reset service indicator troubles

Default E60 reset service indicator troubles

This method of resetting the service interval indicators
    DIY Reset Service Indicator - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
    as has this one (weird that two methods both work)
    BMW 5 Series Service Reset, Brake Pad Reset, Spark Plug Reset, Oil Service Reset, Maintenance reset - YouTube

Never had trouble resetting my wife's 07 E60 M52 or on my 07 550i for brakes, oil changes, cabin filters etc. However, last night I had trouble. I had 800 miles left on my front brake pads and replaced them before the wear indicator wore through and before zero miles left.
    When I replaced the rotors and pads with new, all was well, no surprises. I've done the job on my 178k mi E34 several times, plus on her car once so I should be well versed. The wear indicator looked great so I re used it.
    Went to reset the service indicator from 800 miles left and it went into the reset mode OK but when I got to reset? and then to _____ it didn't go to 300000 it went to -9000. Now I have tried to reset it several times and all i get is the -9000.
    This morning looked at the wear indicator and again it looks find.
    I'm stumped.
    Thanks in advance.
    Paul
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

Brake Reset Issue Video by pmcdougal | Photobucket

If you compare the video of me (above) with the youtube video in my first post, you can see what's supposed to happen is not happening for my 550i. Additionally in my video I try two ways, press and release when the ____ comes up and no release. Neither gets me anything but -9000.
    Where did the -9000 come from anyway? When I started it was 800 mi left???
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

You may need a can bus obd 2 scanner with ABS function that supports BMW to reset it... I am just guessing out of my head. The reason for this thought is like if for example, you exceed the service interval... some car will lock it in that position until you go to dealer to reset it.

With a -9000... even though a fluke... may locked you out of resetting your car.

Yours should have the 2 stage wear indicators on it, if the wear indicator has any wear at all on it even though its not down to the wires you won't be able to reset it correctly. I have run into this many times, reset with scan tool still shows go into idrive menu and reset through front and rear brake pads, each are set separately. Still shows.
    Replace sensor and reset through idrive menu and it works fine.

as seen here

Default Unscathed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    Yours should have the 2 stage wear indicators on it, if the wear indicator has any wear at all on it even though its not down to the wires you won't be able to reset it correctly. I have run into this many times, reset with scan tool still shows go into idrive menu and reset through front and rear brake pads, each are set separately. Still shows.
    Replace sensor and reset through idrive menu and it works fine.

as seen here
    Sorry, i should have been clearer. The wear sensor is untouched. It did not come in contact w the rotor at all. I replaced the pads and rotors w the onboard info still showing 800 miles and the pads still had a teeny bit left - like one or two mm.

I will give the scan tool reset a shot over at a buddy's. Then try a new sensor.
    Thanks!