GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-starting after fuel runs out... learned soemthing today.

Just fixed the pump. Took me about 6 months to get around to it, and the symptoms were beginning to get worse;

Not only was it occasionally running out of fuel after getting down to about >15L, but the car was starting to stumble after cornering and up & downhill runs, and eventually the fuel was down enough for me to open up the tank again and 'delve inside'

The pump filter/scavenger had popped off the inlet to the pump as when I fitted it into the pump housing I didn't cut the bottom off entirely, I just broke open the hole in the housing bottom to allow for the inlet to poke through. The inlet did not protrude far enough to provide good enough purchase for the filter's clip.

To fix it I removed the pump from the housing. Cut the lower section off using a Dremmel so the pump could slide through the bottom of the housing. The filter located securely after that. Also when I re-fitted it I took more care to make sure the pump housing was well located in the tank's internal bracket.

No more trouble, and now I don't have to be so scared of running below 1/4 of a tank.
    Last edited by genphreak; 08-06-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

One time I ran low and it did the same crank no start thing. I held the peddle to the floor and cranked about another 30 seconds and it fired up. Didn't check into why but that was the trick that worked for me.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Apparently depends on the Motronic type. The Motronic 1.3 -used for the M30 engine- technical spec says:
    Relays
    The Motronic electrical system is controlled by a main fuel injection relay and a fuel pump relay. A permanent voltage supply is made to the main relay terminals 30 and 86 from the battery positive terminal. When the ignition is switched on, the ECU earths terminal 85 through ECU terminal number 36 which energises the first relay winding (on the 1987 M1.1 system, this connection was made directly to earth). This causes the first relay contacts to close and terminal 30 is connected to the output circuit at terminal 87. A voltage supply is thus output at terminal 87. Terminal 87 supplies voltage to the injectors, ECU terminal 37, ISCV and the CFSV when fitted. In addition voltage is supplied to the fuel pump relay terminal 86. When the ignition is switched on. the ECU briefly earths fuel pump relay contact 85 at ECU terminal 3. This energises the relay winding, which closes the relay contact and connects voltage from terminal 30 to terminal 87, thereby providing voltage to the fuel pump circuit. After approximately one second, the ECU opens the circuit and the pump stops. This brief running of the fuel pump allows pressure to build within the fuel pressure lines, and provides for an easier start. The fuel pump relay circuit will then remain open until the engine is cranked or run. Once the ECU receives a speed signal from the CAS, the relay winding will again be energised by the ECU, and the fuel pump will run until 3 seconds after the engine is stopped. The 3 seconds delay in switching off the pump relay allows the fuel pump to maintain pressure on engine shut-off to avoid engine run-on. In addition, on some vehicles control of the OS heater is made through a separate OS relay. Once the ignition is switched on, a voltage supply is made to the OS heater relay terminals 30 and 86. When the engine is started, the ECU connects relay terminal 85 to earth through ECU pin 23. The relay actuates and the output voltage at terminal 87 provides voltage to the OS heater. The ECU switches off the relay under certain conditions of speed and load.

The flooding starts with leaky injectors that wash the rings. Upon trying to start it you dump more fuel into washed cylinders where the engine can't overpower the dead cylinders spinning at low RPM. Holding the peddle at least in my car shuts the pump off so whats left in the fuel line, some goes into good cylinders and it will fire. Every time I have experienced this the engine fires only with a few cylinders til it gets back into life.

Might just be the way the 530 is.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 08-19-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12