GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Sell or part out 1990 535i 5-spd

Default Sell or part out 1990 535i 5-spd

Fellas,

I'm at a crossroads, my '90 535i which still runs needs to go. It needs a lot of maintenance, but I don't have the time or ambition anymore (purchased a house). The biggest problem is that it's become an upscale mouse house. They've shredded the hoodliner and have likely built nests in various places (I removed one from behind the driver's knee bolster this weekend, and have removed dead mice from the HVAC blower wheel in the past).

It's been parked under an oak tree for close to a year, and is covered in 'tree dirt' that should clean up. Has little rust, worst of it is around the license plate lamps, very light at the bottom of the doors. Door panel inserts are coming loose as per usual on thses cars. I started to repair one but it still needs completed. Car now has ~250k miles on it.

History on the car:
    Bought some 7+ years ago from my brother who spun it into a Jersey Barrier in the snow. Had the frame pulled, and new sheet metal hung on front (bumper cover, grille, hood, fender, etc...) New A/C condenser and evap core (ebay), all new A/C lines from the dealer, and a new compressor from BMA parts; A/C worked for a summer and developed a large leak. Drove for a few years then found a donor 735i 5-spd in the local yard. Swapped in 5-spd trans, new driveshaft from Portland, OR, Bilstein HDs, front suspension arms and tie-rods. New heater core, radiator, water pump, fan clutch, and 2.5" stainless single exhaust made with mandrel bends and chewing gum welds. Also purchased a parts engine w/harness and ECU from the same car, it has a blown head gasket between cyls 2&3 or 4&5, has been stored indoors. Purchased some heated front seats from a different 7-series in the yard to replace the ones in my 535i, but never got around to it, also have a good used steering wheel and clock-spring (one on car has a hole worn in the leather).

Now to where I'm at now: Bought a house 3 years ago which has taken all of my time and money (well most of it). The 5'er got neglected. The front suspension is worn out again (tie rods, idler arm, etc). I've purchased some of the parts (lower control arms, tie-rods, idler arm, sway bar end-links). None of these parts are installed. Tires are worn out on the style 5's, I also have a set of M5 turbines with the wheel covers removed, tires are worn out on those as well... I picked up a cheaper, more fuel-efficient car, and the 5'er got parked. In the time since the car got parked, the mouse damage happened. I'm now to the point that I don't want to screw with it any more and want it gone, whether it's in pieces or whole.

So, what would you do, I'm fairly proficient at parting cars out, but don't really want to spend the time doing it. What's one of these worth (either whole or in pieces)?

Pictures:
    When Purchased:

Current:

-Ben
    Last edited by icesoft; 04-07-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    '90 535i - Converted to 5spd
    '92 F250 diesel, 5spd, 350k miles, ext cab, long bed, 4wd, bitch to turn (and park) - new tow rig
    '96 F250 - dead trans
    '95 Nissan 240SX - Infiniti V8 swap in prog.

Wish it were closer. I'm selling my 1990 535 and the buyer might want it. If it were around a few years ago before I replaced my AT, it would have been a no brainer. I really like the car but then my kid blew a head gasket.
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

What color interior?

Gray interior
    '92 F250 diesel, 5spd, 350k miles, ext cab, long bed, 4wd, bitch to turn (and park) - new tow rig
    '96 F250 - dead trans

i would sell it, dont part it out, would make a great rebuild for some... id sell it as is.

Dove Gray or Silver Gray? If silver gray what condition are the seats?

haha thats funny, mine are dove gray...

Quote Originally Posted by 1995 540i View Post
    i would sell it, dont part it out, would make a great rebuild for some... id sell it as is.
    That's what I'd really like to do, but have no idea what kind of price to put on it... Especially with all of the parts to go with it.
    '96 F250 - dead trans

Quote Originally Posted by south26 View Post
    Dove Gray or Silver Gray? If silver gray what condition are the seats?
    The vultures are swirling....

Which set, I believe they are both silver gray (I know the 5-series seats are).

The 7 series seats are covered in saw-dust, but are in decent shape, armrests are removed but I have them (were removed before I got to them). Leather is soft and in good shape on both seats with exception of the 'right shoulder' area of the driver's seat which seems to be dry/stiff.

5-series seats are a mixed bag... Rear seats are good with exception of a split seam on the top of the back-rest. Passenger seat is ok, some light cracking, drivers seat is pretty worn, lots of cracking, and split in 2 places. Aftermarket heaters have been installed in the front seats, using the stock wiring harness and stock switches. Work just like stock, only don't heat as fast.

As noted in one of my other messages, I'd prefer to sell the car whole, with the pile of parts to go with it. However I am open to offers, and may consider selling some of the spare parts off.
    '96 F250 - dead trans

Suggest that first, you find a good potential owner, and price it accordingly. It's worth more in parts sure, but in time and effort to actually transact them, no.

Find a young guy into old school bimmers, a previous e30 guy, or someone handy and likes the idea of a 5er. There's a few around in those age-groups. Make it worth their while, for you know that they'll spend the difference anyhow... lol!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!