Hello,
I can see many well funded people here so I ask you some information. As I stated in other thread I'm writing bachelors thesis about BMW V8s. I'm currently writing about racing engines and I'm little confused. My supervisor recommended me book BMW - The History of Engines: Engines That Made History from Karlheinz Lange, which is really brilliant book but ends in year 2000. It was written from many materials directly from BMW and is pretty accurate. So I really trust in it.

Recently I wrote chapter about P60B40 engine, which was raced in 2001 in E46 GTR in ALMS, this engine is not in this book. This P60 does not fit much to BMW numbering system as M60 was made from 1992 to 1996, but P60 don't have to be derived from M60. There is plenty of information about P60 in the internet, so there is definitely some engine. Even photo from BMW museum, which pictures this P60B40.

But P62B40 is mentioned in book. This engine from 1999 should develop 600 bhp without (i think) restrictors and some other necessary racing changes. Don't know where it was raced. There's only few information on this P62. I think its because many materials about this racing engine are confidental. There's that it was develepod to meet Amercan requirements, maybe for ALMS too? This P62 is mentioned only one time on the internet, in Croatian wiki. But there are some strange numbers next to it .

Last is racing V8 is P65. Raced in E92 M3 GTR from 2009. I didn't search information on this engine yet.

My question is mainly about P60 and P62. Are there really both these engines? Have you guys some good information? Thanks for your help.

There are images of P60 and P62 from same side, as you can see they differ. Image of P60 is from internet (search P60B40 on google and it's one of first images), P62 is from my book.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/113598201/P60B40.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/113598201/P62B40.png

PS: I've chosen 3 series BMW because those engines were raced in them. If know better place, please move. Thanks again