GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: Now I have all the time in the world to post to the forums....

Default OT: Now I have all the time in the world to post to the forums....

Well, it happened. After 8 years, almost to the day, of making computer games, I have parted ways with my employer. And it wasn't exactly my plan -- though I was frustrated to the point of actively considering quitting, they beat me to the punch and made me an offer I couldn't refuse in more ways than one.

So now instead of being gone from the house 11-14 hours a day, working my brains out, I'm just idling around -- probably for the rest of the summer. It'll probably be fall before I find another gig (new project time in the industry), so I tell myself that I'll just spend the summer catching up on that gigantic to-do list of stuff around the house and such.

The M5 touring comes back from the shop in a week or two (they're running a bit slow right now - the suspension is done but the stereo upgrade is not), and I've registered for a local CCA Driver Ed Event in early August. I'm going to look around to see if any other track events are happening this summer.

I'm trying to get the DE event pictures that I promised posted up here, and I'll tell you all the full story, including how I threw up in an E39 M5 on the track. :-)

I find myself riding the mood roller coaster from time to time, and I tell myself that it is normal and to be expected, but that does little to squelch it.

I guess I'm just venting out here, trying to get used to the situation, so thanks for listening.
    -Matt P
    '99 540iT

T-Good Guest

Hey Matt, congratulations on getting you freedom and finally finding the time to take care of things besides work. With all that's going on in the world, it's luxurious to be able to take five, as it were.

We eagerly await your stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt P
    Well, it happened. After 8 years, almost to the day, of making computer games, I have parted ways with my employer. And it wasn't exactly my plan -- though I was frustrated to the point of actively considering quitting, they beat me to the punch and made me an offer I couldn't refuse in more ways than one.

So now instead of being gone from the house 11-14 hours a day, working my brains out, I'm just idling around -- probably for the rest of the summer. It'll probably be fall before I find another gig (new project time in the industry), so I tell myself that I'll just spend the summer catching up on that gigantic to-do list of stuff around the house and such.

The M5 touring comes back from the shop in a week or two (they're running a bit slow right now - the suspension is done but the stereo upgrade is not), and I've registered for a local CCA Driver Ed Event in early August. I'm going to look around to see if any other track events are happening this summer.

I'm trying to get the DE event pictures that I promised posted up here, and I'll tell you all the full story, including how I threw up in an E39 M5 on the track. :-)

I find myself riding the mood roller coaster from time to time, and I tell myself that it is normal and to be expected, but that does little to squelch it.

I guess I'm just venting out here, trying to get used to the situation, so thanks for listening.

Congrats... you'll be able to "catch up" on your projects!
    I'm envious!
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Enjoy it. Good things will come from it. I'm envious too. Worked non-stop ever since high school (mmmm... 31 years ago!!?!) without more than a week off at a time. Find myself acting weird at work hoping they'll tell me to take a hike sometimes!!

You can come help me work on my touring this summer! I'll give ya $5 -$10 an hour!
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

When I lost my first real job after 23 yrs. I made one call and heard, "Sure we'd love to have you, match your salary, and would you mind being a senior analyst in a consulting role until we can find a real job for you?"

That was assuring, daddy was right about always keeping a good reputation.
    Should have taken the time off, but instead capatialized on the severance package, took the new offer, got completely out of debt, and still really enjoyed myself.

Anyway, couple of years pass by, that job fizzled out, and it took a solid 9 months of searching. I really had given up and was looking for just anything. Got a call from a guy I had sent a resume to 7-8 months back and turns out it's only a 3 minute commute. Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Guess I've been lucky so far, but that 9 months just about sucked me dry. Never mind the old advice of "plan for 3 months", heck plan for a year or more.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

Just looking at the size of the list makes me wonder if all summer is enough time :-)

Also, my wife seems to think I am available all day now all the time for baby sitting duties. If she has her way, I won't get anything done except changing about 1000 diapers.
    -Matt P
    '99 540iT

It's a weird feeling to get up and know you don't have to go anywhere. It is defiantly going to take some discipline and adjustments to make the most out of the time.

Now what's wrong with your touring? I'm afraid I don't do dual-panel sunroofs. If I come over to help you, I'll have to drive my touring over. :-P
    -Matt P
    '99 540iT

I've had several jobs before this, but none that lasted more than 3 years. As I finally found one doing what I love to do, it pains me at times to leave it behind. I have a lot of connections in the business, and don't doubt I can find a similar position. It's just that I really don't want to relocate -- We just sunk a lot into a place where we really want to settle down and raise our kids in --, so that is limiting me to the local development scene. (Not to mention the equivalant would cost a fortune on the west coast)

The big thing right now is getting my mental state straight - putting the past behind me and looking forward on all fronts.

I may just hang out my own shingle and do some sort of consulting or middleware or make small titles for a while. I've also got standing requests from publishers to write a couple books as well as consult for some game related stuff. After I work my contacts, it'll probably be a matter of picking what I want to do.

Don't worry about me too much, I've got enough stashed away to last me *several* years at our current lifestyle (which we're in the process of throttling back anyway). The first time I was laid off in 1990, I had enough for 2 and 1/2 weeks, so I've come a long way.
    -Matt P
    '99 540iT

I was looking at layoffs once in '87 when I took a position with a middle Atlantic based power utility who's initials look identical to DR. After 3 years at this place, drawing 2.5 what I'm making now we had a spill. The EPA guys came in, looked around, asked me where so and so was. I pointed with my elbow....3 days later the security guys came in followed by my boss. Boom, lay off time. No notice, they even had boxes for my stuff! :P I did manage to get 6 months pay out of it. At the time I had no car payment, no house payment, nada. Went home, told the GF what happened. She saw her easy life end so she bailed (biatch). Drank for a couple of days then went to the Outer Banks for 3 months to work on my melanoma.

Get to know yourself and your kids again.