Thread: E34 Seat Cables Fix, seat switch repair

Default E34 Seat Cables Fix, seat switch repair

Oldie from Winfred for the newbies
    E34 Seat Cables Fix
    also includes electric headrest fix, same procedure

and Bmw E34 Seat switch repairs
    by Bill R.
    Seatswitch

There's a set of e34 rear seat electric head rests on ebay.com.au at the moment IIRC.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

sweet, all the good things in life are still here, my seat fix is gonna get scheduled. i actually had a quick look the othe day and thought as soon as i get back into the archives i would be looking for this soon as, thanx Shogun.

Hi Shogun,
    I have just removed the seats from my E34 540i "as I'm doing it up, too Original :-)" and just done this fix on the drivers seat and about to start the passenger seat tomorrow as they both suffer with the "Dreaded Back Twist", and I have to say, following your directions and pictures it was a piece of cake. Less than an hour to complete, BUT, what is missing from your article is the bit about how and where to connect power to the seat using the battery in order to test the seat BEFORE I put it back in the car. Any helpful tips or advise on this would be gratefully appreciated, as I am NO electrician and don't want to F*ck up an otherwise good job through lack of understanding.
    Kind regards,
    TechnoWeeny.

Nice work, I just copied this info to make it easier to understand:

Seat Motors
    This is just a quick write up for any of you that have been following my attempts at keeping a E32 out of the junkyard. The seats do in fact move and three of the four motors work. To get the seats to move I had to supply power directly from the battery to the individual motors. All motors use two prong plugs and to reverse direction just reverse polarity. The plug for the forward / back is in the rear inboard with a white two wire plug . One wire was blue/yellow stripe and the other was violet/yellow stripe. To raise the seat rear the motor is in the front middle with wires of Black/white stripe and green/white stripe. To move the upper seat back the plug is in the rear with wires colored blue/red stripe and viotet/red stripe. I have not tried the head rest yet. I never found the -4 screw driver input or the 25 torx to turn the motor nor have I found the red and brown wires but I think I got a quick sighting before I found the wires to make the seat move.

-------------------
    seat motor: drill + extra seat motor cable
    The motor has a square drive on it. I used a drill and an extra seat motor cable. Just found this comment on an E34 Forum, see pic
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t_motor001.jpg
    ---------------------
    remove the cover of the seat memory module from the front of the driver seat, there is a plastic cover.
    Then you should see the motor and can use a minus 4 mm driver and move it, it is also mentioned in the repair manual, shop manual
    http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...c#.UosXlrDxsdU

Part yard trip - operating power seats
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...highlight=tool
    Under the seat is a big, white connector bringing power to the seat motors and heat. The connector easily separates. Once apart, the chair end (opposed to the end going under the carpet) can be pulled up and off of its clip so it can be more easily reached. By the way, a small flashlight helps tons. Make sure to bring one. Look back at the side of the connector going under the carpet. There is a large brown wire and a black/red wire next to each other. (It is easier to look at these, than the chair side. The wires coil up under the seat, and are harder to see) The brown is ground and the black/red is power. On the corresponding pins on the chair-side connector, clip your alligator clips. The are close together, so don't touch the clips or you will short your battery, but they are far enough apart and large enough that the clips should not slide off. Now, move the seat forward to loosen the bolts.
    Last edited by shogun; 11-19-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Many thanks Shogun (Erich), Again you have proven to be the Guru. I can't wait to get back into the shed tomorrow to apply what you have shared.
    Kind regards,
    TechnoWeeny.