GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glove box won't open. What gives?

Default Glove box won't open. What gives?

As per thread title, glove box won't open. It was difficult to open a few times, then finally 'impossible'. And no, it's not locked.

Do I need to remove the radiator? Headliner? Rear diff?

Any input appreciated,

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I very rarely use the glove box but know mine is the same. Perhaps I should adjust it? Giving it a slap works for me
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Mine wont open either. A slap used to work but no more. Nothing in there but some old cassette tapes and my vehicle registration. Let me know what you find as it will be not so funny if I ever get pulled over.

At the forward end of the glove box there are two latches that will release the two hinges for the glove box. You will probably need to lay on your back and slide into the passenger footwell to see them. This should allow you to remove the box. In mine, the latch mechanism broke and needed to be replaced. The broken part would not allow the latch to disengage.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Clarksonvalley View Post
    At the forward end of the glove box there are two latches that will release the two hinges for the glove box. You will probably need to lay on your back and slide into the passenger footwell to see them. This should allow you to remove the box. In mine, the latch mechanism broke and needed to be replaced. The broken part would not allow the latch to disengage.

Tom
    I'm suspecting this is the case (briken latch), so will try your method of removal. Thanks for the tip.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

On my 94 525i I had to also to loosen the four philips screws just above the glove box door & under the dash cover, then slightly bend down the metal plate & squeeze the two ears of the latch mechanism together to get the cover open. The latch barrel goes thru a hole in that metal plate you slightly bent down & two ears pop out from the latch barrel keeping the door closed. Difficult to explain clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by GMADD View Post
    On my 94 525i I had to also to loosen the four philips screws just above the glove box door & under the dash cover, then slightly bend down the metal plate & squeeze the two ears of the latch mechanism together to get the cover open. The latch barrel goes thru a hole in that metal plate you slightly bent down & two ears pop out from the latch barrel keeping the door closed. Difficult to explain clearly.
    You're right, it is hard to exlain clearly , but it will make better when I'm attempting the fix. Thanks for the advice.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

If you release the rear hinges, wiggling and jiggling the handle (whilst opened) may release the 'ears' of the latch from the hole in the upper dash plate. Usually one side breaks and won't release- it shouldn't be hard to tempt it if you do this much- often you can do it with jiggling alone.

... when in doubt, get jiggy with it!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Okay so this happens and I've posted before when it happened to me on a different forum years ago. I looked and can't find it now. As I remember I loosen the two latches at the back which gave a bit of room and I was able to use a 1/4" steel rod (what was on hand) I made a small point and from the door side I was able to use the rod to depress the "ear" and it swung free. The rod needs to be long enough but needs to clear the door too, so it can't be too long. Again hard to explain, yet not much easier to do. Good luck with that.

Thanks tiny. the more info the better.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast