GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Boot on upper thrust arm is broken- Replace?

Default Boot on upper thrust arm is broken- Replace?

The boot (bottom of arm) on upper thrust arm is broken only on the passenger side. The other side of the car looks ok. I have a very slight ocassional shimmy at 50-60 mph.

Should I repalce the upper thrust arms? Several months ago, my indy (Motorsports, Lexington, KY) said they are starting to wear.

Sort of concerns me as I had a local reputable frame/alignment shop look over my suspension this week. They pronounced everything solid. Only adjusted toe-in on passenger side.

I am looking for a cure for wander. Have tried steering box adjustment and steering column nut under the dash.

I sort of assume if the boot is broken, rapid wear will take place and a loose joint could cause a bit of wander, tire wear (tiny bit of outside feathering on passenger front tire) and vibration on this side of the car. True?

Any help/advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by Russell; 06-19-2004 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I would replace them both at the same time, remember to tighten the through bolt while the car is sitting on ramps.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

if your saying that the rubber boot around the balljoint is breached, and you aren't too concerned about completely eliminating your shimmy, the HELP! line of generic auto parts has a ball joint boot that will fit, I believe that bavarian AS has one too.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I assumed replacing both sides. I should have mentioned

Default Interesting - But

Thanks- It's good to know about the HELP generic balljoint boot.

Shimmy still needs to be eliminated, but the main problem is wander. I think that if a balljoint is loose enough to cause alignment to shift, then it would cause or enhance wandering. I also think/assume that since the balljoint is breached, wear has started. Bottom line, I think I need to replace the Thrust arms on both sides to attack the wander problem..

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    if your saying that the rubber boot around the balljoint is breached, and you aren't too concerned about completely eliminating your shimmy, the HELP! line of generic auto parts has a ball joint boot that will fit, I believe that bavarian AS has one too.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment