GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP ASAP- Need stock OEM catalytic converter for '95 525i to pass SMOG!

Thanks Tiger! Do you have any recommendation or personal experience between the, Magnaflow twin cats or A&B twin cats?

Also, have you heard of D.E.C. http://www.germanautoparts.com/BMW/1...1012/106325787. I called them and they said the cats are actually two magnaflow canisters. D.E.C referred me to other sites that are more cost effective than German Auto Parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I see what the dealer is saying... there are some made with a single cat... smallish size.. and one with a much larger more oem sized cat. Then there are the twin cats design.

Rockauto has the Magnaflow twin cats for $412.

Autohaus has the A&B twin cats for $362.

The Magnaflow version seems much more better workmanship.

Cat converter is supposed to around 500 degree.

Thanks Scott! Yes, I am located in CA. I am planning to definitely do an oil change. I was also considering replacing the plugs too. Any thoughts? I am worried the fuel injection service may pollute the spark plugs. Thoughts?

Yes, after dealing with this for about 4 months, countless hours, $$$, not to mention replacing unneccessary parts that still did not result in passing smog, and the recent results from my BMW dealer, I called the Bureau of Automative Repair Referee to solicit their assistance. They recommended for me to pursue the "Parts Locator Exemption" program or sell my car to them for $1 to $2k. I will be granted a sticker after they verify that the OEM Cat is not available through BMW and their sources. However, it is still a process in itself to go through each year until BMW starts making the OEM cat for my car and the 16 other people on the waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyWM View Post
    I don't see where you live, but I assume it's probably California. I don't know what the laws are there, but here in NC there is some thing that says that if you cannot get the car into spec after taking reasonable measures, and if the parts to fix it are not available at reasonable cost, then you can get an exemption. I'm really not sure exactly what the wording is, or if it applies to just 'antique' autos (I heard about it on the MG forum) - but it would be worth looking into.

If I was in your situation, I'd do a fresh oil change, then take the car out and do an Italian tune-up on it (high revs, almost redline, for 2-3 minutes), then try the inspection again as fast as possible before the car cools off. But then, my car doesn't even need to be checked for smog...
    Last edited by remuse; 10-28-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Mmm... in CA... the Rockauto and AutohausAZ are not CA approved... The DEC has been around for quite a while but seeing a Magnaflow cats on Rockauto makes me think that they must also make a CA version... so call up Magnaflow to see if they got the part number for CA approved cat... It is not a hard thing for them to build.

Looking at Magnaflow website... they selected an universale one for your car... basically you cut ut the OE at and put this one in.
    MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Or with Rockauto... the Klarius may be CA approved... which is similar to the Manaflow universale cat as above... I'd call Rockauto to confirm. I don't see why you have to spend $1000 for a cat when your car is only worth $2k...

Something simple is wrong.

I'd suggest showing that list to a well reputed BMW mechanic (you're looking for someone smart, with a reputation who has been working on bimmers for years. Pay for their time to apply their experience. They can check using diagnostics gear and whittle it down to the root cause. After that it will be nice n economical and pass smog ever time rather than always giving you the willys at inspection time.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12