GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help with trailing arm bushings (I think)

Default Help with trailing arm bushings (I think)

Hi guys/gals,

On my 89-535 (200,000 Km) everytime the car moves up or down (ie a bump) there's this sqeek/squak noise coming from the left rear. At first I thought it might be a shock or broken spring but on further inspection it's coming from one of the two bolts at the lower extreme of the trailing arm right beside the tire. The noise is getting louder by the day.

I've done a search and checked Bruno's site but can't find any info on the replacement procedure. I this one of those entire day jobs or worse ? I don't have a Bentleys yet and Haynes sucks for this. If anyone can give me some advise or links for this job I would appreciate it.

Thanks and take care,
    Dan

I have a similar noise, but I only hear it when the emergency brake is engaged.... and I'm pretty sure that I need to adjust the e brake on the rear drivers side.... cuz when I'm pointed up hill on an incline... pull the e brake.... I can feel the passenger side go up, but not the drivers side.

BUT! when the car is parked, with the ebrake, and I get out and push down on the drivers rear corner... I hear some noises.. (never tried it without the ebrake engaged)
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Default Probably the pitman arms, commonly called "dogbones"

The part is about 10 cm by 4 cm and has two big bolts connecting it to the car and trailing arm. It can squeak when the boots have worn out and the joint isn't lubed anymore. Sometimes when you sit in it or get out, or go over a big bump.

If this is the one, replacement is very easy. All you really have to do is unbolt the old one and bolt up a new one, but to get at it you may have to jack up the wheel and support the axle so there is no load on the pitman arm bolts.

- Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Thanks guys,

Robin, that's exactly the same problem I have. I'm glad to hear it's an easy job. Thanks for clearing up the proper name for it, I've done some searches and found additional info.

Phillip, having the e-brake up usually restricts movement so the car should bounce much less unless like you said the cables may need adjustment.

Take care,
    Dan