GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reassembly questions M50 E34 electrical connections

Default Reassembly questions M50 E34 electrical connections

So i labeled with yellow electrical tape and used a sharpie to write what goes where on all the connections on the intake side of the engine. Most were still readable after the years of sitting. The b*tch is that not all of the labels are readable. Scoured the Bently photos, but no solutions. HELP!!!

First pic is of two identical three pin connections, one coming from closer to the front of the engine and the other closer to the rear. I'm thinking the front one is the oil level sensor in the bottom of the pan and the rear one is the TPS connector. They both seem to reach but the front one isn't stretched like the back one.

Second pic is of a connector coming from just above the starter. I don't see anything obvious, wondering if it's a ground...
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

Shayne says:
    You are correct.
    Greasy one will go down and clean up. MAF in there somewhere?

That is a ground but I cannot remember the specific connection point.

Shayne

Looks a lot like the ground that attaches to the pass. side engine mount, Iīm not absolutely sure tho so donīt hang me up on that!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Default May thanks

Thanks to you both. I'm still reeling from looking at some of the tags and not being able to read some them. Not a great feeling. Bentley, "tag and remove..."
    OY! Thought yellow elect tape and a sharpie was pure brilliance. Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Shayne says:
    You are correct. Greasy one will go down and clean up. MAF in there somewhere?
    That is a ground but I cannot remember the specific connection point.
    Shayne
    On the greasy one down, that's the oil level sensor, clean one up, that's the TPS. I will have to look around for the MAF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    Looks a lot like the ground that attaches to the pass. side engine mount, Iīm not absolutely sure tho so donīt hang me up on that!
    Here in the States, the pass side is the exhaust side, so that certainly wouldn't reach way over there. It's short enough I don't think it will even reach the intake side engine mount but will check. IIRC the ex side does have a stud in it for a ground mount. I am now wondering if it's a ground that goes to the center of the head just above the studs for the intake. What think?

Now with the wires sorted (I learned that word from big Ed on "Wheeler Dealers") I have to connect all the (new) hoses and finally install the intake. I need to ride the couch less and wrench more. This thing isn't going to reassemble itself.

On cranking the engine to bring the oil pressure up before firing, what's the smart way to not do any electrical system damage? Coils not connected to the harness?
    Last edited by 93 525 Paul; 09-10-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

A bit more
    I asked for help here, and here with more pics
    A bit more

That's definitely not for the passenger side, at least on US models. And I'm pretty sure the strap you're thinking of connects to the frame, not a wire harness.

1995 525i 5-Speed 201,000mi

Default Outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    A bit more
    I asked for help here, and here with more pics
    A bit more
    Thanks for posting it up over there, great idea. I'm going to have to add them to my tech board list. The pics are great just really small. Is there a way to get them bigger? Tried finding where they were on the web and the source location has them just as small.

The post over there,
    Quote Originally Posted by 525ti92 View Post
    My guess is, one is 1) the oil level sensor behind the oil filter canister (bentley fig 20 pg. 110-8) 2) the throttle switch connector (fig 16 pg. 110-7) and 3) the ground connects just above the ground connection for the crankcase ventilation ground or it might be the crankcase ground (fig 14 pg. 110-6) - also see below photo. The crankcase ventilation ground appears to be part of a plastic bracket, however their is a wire that is grounded to a nut above it. If it is not grounded the car will not start.
    Is helpful, but the connection to the back of the filter canister is the oil PRESSURE sensor and it's 2 pronged. Will have to check back on the Bentley manual on the ground. Good stuff.

Thanks again
    Paul
    Last edited by 93 525 Paul; 09-11-2012 at 01:45 PM.

just contact him=Adam, as he mentions:
    If the below pics do not come out I can email them as they are from my phone. There are two pics of each.
    in addition he posted:
    Might be wrong
    Author: 525it92 : member since June, 2005 : 198 posts Posted on: 2012-09-10

about the oil level sensor. I was prepping my car tonight to do the oil pan gasket and I noted that the oil level sensor connector had 2 female prong openings and not 3. The one below the MAF also was the same. The throttle switch was 3 pronged. I will post again tomorrow if I am wrong due to tiredness......

Tried to join that board but never got the confirmation email. Sent the moderator and email too. Nothing... Will try again.
    On mine, they are both clearly three pronged.

The wire could also be from the back of the alternator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast