GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Transmission issue?

Default Automatic Transmission issue?

Hello again - It's been a while!

I've returned to the dark side :P and I've been enjoying my e39 530d Auto (138k miles) for a while now but I'm a little worried and thought you knowledgeable guys could help!

I'm getting a noise from what I'm assuming is the transmission, for the first few minutes of driving each day, so when stone cold. The noise rises with revs not speed, and is what I would imagine to sound like an engine without enough oil in it??? It's a bit of a knocky noise if that makes sense?! It isn't present however if I leave the car in neutral and rev it so I'm counting out the engine (recently serviced too!), but I could be wrong there... It doesn't last too long, only a couple of minutes but it's enough to make me drive VERY slowly and carefully until it warms up - Once warm it wont happen again all day! Otherwise the box works well and I don't have any issues with it, which is good!!

I have a laptop software that reads codes and gives me live data that worked perfect for the Jag I had but wont connect to the e39, I've emailed the company so hopefully they can get me connected so I can see any codes etc if there are any and give u guys some more info!

The assumption I've came to so far is that the oil in the auto transmission has seen better days and is causing problems when cold??? Any thoughts? I want to change it out but I know there's a big debate on this!!! Yet with my symptoms, I'd hope it would be more beneficial than risky?

Thanks very much in advance,

John

P.S - I found some upper/lower front suspension arms from my e34 the other day when rifling through the attic - They're not new but seem in perfectly useable condition if your struggling for an MOT or whatever (I was in the habit of 'if it's not broke, fix it' back then!) - My good friend WhiskyChaser had first refusal but having recently done his they're free to a good home, you would just need to pick them up as posting them would cost a small fortune!! (I'm in Liverpool UK).
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Hi John. I cant remember what year your 530D is? I think the box in your car may be a Getrag not a ZF? Supposed to be on my hols but cant resist logging in. Sad, I know
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Don't automatically think it is the transmission. You got a diesel? It could be the turbo that needs to be checked for any freeplay in bearing.

Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies, I'm beginning to get worried about this now...

Whisky - I hope all is well and you're enjoying yourself!! It's a 2000 btw! (X reg)

Tiger, I had the same thought just today... You may be on to something I think. The more I think about it the more I'm unsure what's causing it... It just might be turbo related. However I think the noise may be worsening.

Here's everything I have found out whilst experimenting in the mornings:
    *It will make the terrible rattling noise as the revs increase when I first pull away in the morning. In park or neurtral I am pretty sure I don't hear it at all however (I.e not under any load... Even when cold. This is the weird part)
    *It also feels 'sticky' when first driing off in the morning. (I.e If i hold at 50% throttle it will seem like the handbrake is on for the first few seconds then as though it is released, and it's more free to move (but rattle noise worsens as revs increase)
    *Once warmed up the rattle is totally gone.
    *MPG is down from ~30mpg, to ~26mpg (usual journeys)
    *I think the turbo is making more whooshing and whistling noise than usual when accelerating, however it has always whistled.

The fact that the rattle is only a 'cold' problem made me suspect an 'oil' related issue over anything else, but now I'm unsure. Turbo? I need to see how the power is but I'm babying it a bit at the moment to be honest, until I can figure out what it is.

What would you guys advise looking for??? I'm thinking I should try to get a look at pipes to/from the turbo etc... If I can even get a look at it (Unfamiliar with the underside of this car, it's been pretty good to me so far!), what should I look for on the turbo side of things?

Thanks again, any input seriously appreciated.
    Last edited by e34.535i.sport; 09-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.

To check the turbo, you have to disconnect the fresh air intake tube... stick your finger in to feel the blades and try to wiggle it... if you feel any play... i mean any play at all, the turbo needs to be serviced. You do this while the engine is cold of course!

Other thought may be like EGR... which I am not sure if diesel engine got one of these thing...

I don't know much about BMW diesel and I saw an opisode of BBC Wheeler Dealer about the Saab Turbo... I think it was a 9-3 convertible... and Ed was talking about the turbo and explaining about some of the typical symptoms... Do more research about your car... most likely someone else had a similar problem and solved it already.

Thanks Tiger, you make real sense. A friend of mine who is a mechanic just had a quick listen to the car and said the turbo is sounding loud. I will be examining it this weekend definitely. The only thing I can't find reason for if it was the turbo is the knocking/rattling noise when cold but disappearing when warm.

It does have an EGR yes, I'll check this out too - I'll explore any avenue at this point! I've researched my symptoms for hours and there are similar ones out there but not the specific combination I have... However I might have two problems going on simultaneously (I hope not though!)...

I'll report back once I've examined the turbo...

Thanks again!

UPDATE!

I got a good look at the turbo today (intake side) and felt the impeller - no play at all on it and the impellers looked fine as well without chips etc. I did find however that two of the small thin vacuum pipes on the turbo were loose (one very loose and near the end od the nipple!) so I'm hoping and praying this was causing the issue! I pushed them on firmly and put it all back together and took it for a test run... Turbo noise seemed significcantly less and it felt like there was a lot more power too. THe big turbo pipe on the intake side did pop off as I was driving (at which time I sh*t myself!!) but I think that was my fault for not tightening up the jubilee clip enough!

I don't know how a small vacuum issue like this could cause so many problems but I'll be very happy if that's the case... I'll know for sure tomorrow if the horrible rattle/knocking noise is gone on cold start - I'm dubious but we'll see!

Thanks for all responses so far.

Good job! Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Good job! Let us know.
    I couldn't be happier with how this turned out, car is running perfectly now! No noise or 'stickyness' this morning on first drive, shifts are smoother, turbo is soooo much quieter and power has returned! All that from a simple vacuum hose, unbelieveable! I thought I was looking at fitting a new gearbox or turbo next weekend!!!

Thanks very much for the help and comments, I learnt a valuable lesson not to jump to conclusions.

I have the autobox filter and gasket now but I'm still unsure whether to change the oil or not seen as the box is running so well, but I hear it will help a good box and kill a bad one... It's a tough choice!

No... that is old wive's tale... if you got no problem, change the filter and fluid as normal... 50K miles or km equivalent is the most I will go on the fluid.

If you do have problem with tranny, change it too... if it works, tranny will work normal again... I have seen two cases of this.

If the tranny is bad and really bad, changing the filter makes no difference... this is where you got to overhaul it.

And DO NOT EVER BELIEVE LIFETIME FLUID... ever!

BTW, Congrats on your repair! Didn't cost you a nickel!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast