GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Corrosion and thinking out loud

Default Corrosion and thinking out loud

I'm just thinking/lamenting out-loud here:

I love my 525i, but I often hesitate to add new parts to something that I know is slowly rusting away. Every once in a while I come across new evidence of a hidden cancer. For example, the other day I replaced the passenger-side mirror because the mirror itself was clouding over with a layer of oxidation. When I pulled it off, I found that the metal mounting points were also completely corroded.

Now, I could take hours soaking parts like this in vinegar, scraping, and coating with rust converter, but it's clear that I'm on the losing side of an uphill battle with a frustratingly vague deadline of defeat. Mechanically speaking, i'd say, this car is half as old as it looks.
    I should also say that, while I could get another E34 from a warmer/drier climate, my current climate would still destroy it at an accelerated pace.

Currently, the her could benefit from rear springs/shocks/mounts, front rotors/pads/hoses, a re-man'ed alternator, a new oil filter seal, and a couple of back-seat wiring repairs. That's about $900 by my estimations. And then, probably another $1500 at least to have someone grind out and repaint the emerging rust spots on the doors, trunk lid, and rear fender...which might last 3 years if I'm lucky. None of the above is currently necessary, but will be in the near future. I also struggle with the growing sense that cars have evolved significantly since the early 90s, and it wouldn't hurt for me to try something new(er). So, I have a couple options I think:
    1. Throw another $2500 at my current 525i (which is about what I paid for it in 2008) in order to keep it in fully operational condition (for "a while") and maybe improve the enjoyment factor a bit.
    2. Find another more-unique E34 from TX, GA, CA....maybe an M5 or something that needs a little work, but would put a bigger smile on my face.
    2. Upgrade to a newer BMW, like a 2001 325xi (5 speed) or 2001 740i Sport (convert to a stick) and hope to offset a lot of maintenance costs and rust issues for 5-7 years. ~$10,000

What have you guys done when your car begins to show its age?

1995 525i 5-Speed 201,000mi

Default Desert E34

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM View Post
    I'm just thinking/lamenting out-loud here:

I love my 525i, but I often hesitate to add new parts to something that I know is slowly rusting away.
    I should also say that, while I could get another E34 from a warmer/drier climate, my current climate would still destroy it at an accelerated pace.

I have a couple options I think:
    1. Throw another $2500 at my current 525i
    2. Find another more-unique E34 from TX, GA, CA....
    2. Upgrade to a newer BMW,

What have you guys done when your car begins to show its age?
    Fresno has a desert climate so my E34 is rust free. My 72 2002 is as well. The 07 we bought 2.5 years ago has depreciated over $6000 in the time we have owned it. The '03 Lincoln has depreciated $10,000 in the 6 years I've owned that sumbitch. That's $140 a month on the Linc and $200 a month on the BMW in depreciation on USED cars plus hefty insurance, sizable registration and on and on. That kills me and I just can't rationalize it at all.
    My wife is going to kill me but I'm rebuilding the E34 to drive and drive and drive. When the E34 is back on the road I am going to dig into either the Klincoln or the E10. Maybe both.
    Minimize your depreciating assets.
    Yes, they've progressed in the last 19 years, but at what cost do you want nav that isn't as good as your phone's and air conditioned seats? They be 'spensive and I don't think they are worth the hefty depreciation.
    I know an 80YO dude who just bought his first new car. He says over a million of his net worth is due to never having bought a new car.
    OY!
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

here where I live in Japan I have no probs with rust.
    Biggest problem is the plastic, especially inside the hot engine room, get's brittle and many of the plugs I had to replace, also as preventive measure.
    Headliner came down, installed new headliner material and that works fine since almost 10 years now.
    Electronics: haircracks, cold solderings etc are common, but that is all repairable.
    But no probs with rust.

Go with a lower mileage replacement from a better climate and put your newer goodies onto it and then sell the older wiser gentleman to another good home. Nothing wrong with having a decent E34. These things except for rust should last a long time. I have not yet driven anything as comfortable, handling wise and looks than my E34. Wish I could replace the ignition with a distributor and carburetor to get 30+ mpg... but maybe I'm just being fussy. No control of the tuning is my biggest gripe since fuel injection, I'm big into tuning and just is no options on injection cars. I should invest in a program to remap the chips, generic chips just suck too. Would like to make them for what a person has in mind, performance, mileage etc.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I´m at that exact same crossroad, I feel your pain!
    I love my car, it runs and handles so well. Here in southern Sweden my car is literally immersed in salt every winter..Watching it corroding away makes me sad, and body rust repair has basically become futile.. 1 winter and it´s all back again, with a vengeance!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Yep, know what you mean. I don't have any rust, but Like Shogun the sun and heat is taking it's toll on the plastic bits finally. And my paint has been shot for years - clearcoat is all cracked and scratched looking, worn down to the black plastic on the bumpers in spots. Seats aren't torn, but they sure are getting stiff. Headliner sagging, again - I redid it once already.

But my wife has the newer nice car (2008 Saab Aero) and all I use my E34 wagon for is to commute basically (55 miles/day) and as a hauler. So unless I get a big $$ failure I'll probably continue to put tires, brakes, water pumps, etc. on it as needed as it is a hell of a lot cheaper that newer cars, less problems than the 'fancier' cars, and still gets 25mpg/29 hwy!

I think I've gotten to (or passed) a point of fixing every little thing (like oxidation on headlights or mirrors) to concentrate on the more important things. At over 230,000 miles I say a little silent "thank you" every time it gets me where I'm going <<< seriously!
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

You want to talk about rust?!?!? When I moved south from upstate NY to Virginia Beach, I had this '71 chevelle. I couldn't believe all the old cars I saw with no rust! So I had to work on mine. Did all the work (even the paint) myself over a summer
    Before
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  58.2 KB

After
    Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  71.3 KB
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero