GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Radio removal question

Default Radio removal question

What size allen wrench is needed to remove the factory radio? I saw a thread where someone thought it might be a 3mm, but didn't seem to be sure. I've tried all of my allen wrenches in metric and none of them seem to work.

My radio code won't seem to enter in spite of several attempts using the code that was written in the owners manual, and the directions I've seen from Shogun. I can replace the radio with an aftermarket unit I have, but need to know what tool is required to remove the factory unit.

Thanks.

Eric

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau

you posted the question in the 3 series forum, but I assume it is for your E34 520.
    There is actually a special tool that is similar to a torx or phillips bit that has 5 sides. You can use a phillips bit, but be very careful not to let it slip.

DIY: BMW Radio Removal - YouTube
    On the BMW radio each side will have tab doors with a small flat head open the doors, you will need a allen key or BMW "installer" tool the bmw installer can be purchased from dealer, other wise you can use a allen which will not fit perfectly so you will need to turn it counter clock wise at a angle with pressure to unscrew radio. After removing radio pull up on the harness plug slider and remove antenna wire, This removes your radio for 84-99 3 series, 89-95 5 series, 88-01 7 series cars.

five sided hex key stock radio removal tool
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...w/DSC01683.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-ser...o-removal.html
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-ser...g-removal.html

Actually, I'm back in the States now and picked up an 88 E30 Convert, so my question really was about an E30. I finally updated my signature pic today.

Thanks for the info. Finally found an allen wrench that fits and removed the radio. Didn't take it out completely, because now I have to figure out how to wire it up. There doesn't seem to be an adapter harness available for this car, so I'll probably have to cut the factory harness and wire the aftermarket unit in. There are only 7 wires coming out of the factory radio aside from the antenna cable, I assume 4 of which go to the speakers, one is power, one is ground and the last is for the power antenna.

My other assumption at this point is that the dual speaker wires coming from the aftermarket unit can be twisted together along with the single factory speaker wire in the dash to provide output to the speakers. If this is true, then all I need to do is locate a wiring diagram or description to show me which factory wires attach to which of the JVC deck's wires.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau