GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Cleaning my MAF...what's your take on it?

Default Cleaning my MAF...what's your take on it?

Car is approaching 226k. MPG is ok, highway is 27/28 if I'm gentle. City driving isn't too hot but I usually avoid the busy part of town and take the 45mph country road that isn't as congested.

MAF is original, I was going to remove it, spray it with some cleaner, reinsert after it's totally dry. Worth it the little effort?

CRC makes a special MAF sensor cleaner in an aerosol can, like electronics cleaner that dries off real quickly. Some people use carb cleaner but its not recommended.
    Use the dedicated spray MAF cleaner. The can will last a long time for your car[s]. It leaves no residue. Others usually do.
    Even if a spray electrical cleaner says that it 'leaves no residue', it also says it leaves a protective coating! Take the unit off the car, and spray it . Both sides, if possible.
    You should be very careful about what you put on the delicate electrical sensors contained within the MAF sensor. Using the wrong product can DAMAGE the sensors!

There are two different types wire sensors and film sensors, if you use CRC MAF cleaner you won't have a problem with either.

ALSO important to disconnect the wiring harness from the MAF before spraying it as you could short the sensors out.

Mostly its the o2 sensor that you need to replace, every 80,000km is best. They last more than that, but only if the engine is running well. Try to fix the rest of the engine first if it has vacuum leaks, worn components, etc, as 02 sensors die quicker when the engine is running badly, or immediately if you have coolant leaking into the cylinders during warmup.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!