GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Box

Default Steering Box

Is it possible for the steering box to develop enough play in it for it to clunk as well as shimmy?

Default Steering Box Play

I think my steering box is the source of a clunk in my front end. I have checked the u-joints and they appear to be pretty solid without slack. They move without any delay. Is it possible that the steering box is the source of a clunking sound and shimmy?

If you suspect your steering box is at fault, you would know it inside the car on steering wheel... you got alot of play by wiggling side to side before you feel the engagement of the gears. Try adjusting steering box if you feel it is the problem.

Default Control arms?

I would guess either your end links are just flopping all about, or your control arm bushings are dead and need to go.

Andy

BMW E34 Website
    Steering play can be caused by the steering box, steering links or one of the universal joints of the steering column
    BMW E34 Website

I checked the u-joints on the steering shaft with no play. The upper control arms are about three months old with PowerFlex bushings. The lower control arms are less than two months old. The idler arm and tie rods are about one month old. The sway bar links were changed out in September. The center link ball joints didn't have any play. I adjusted the steering column nut which was too tight and replaced the steering flex joint becaused it had tares around each of the bolt holes.

There seems to be a clunk generating from the steering box. I can move the tire by grabing it from 9 - 3 with about 1 to 2 inches of play or wiggle with a clunk sound. I can move the steering wheel with the same clunk. I tighten the bolt that holds the steeing box down with some decrease in the shimmy in the front end, smoother at lower speeds. But, there is still a clunk or raddle with shimmy.

Try adjusting the steering gearbox... there is a adjustment screw. I think you need to source a used or new steering gearbox. Try looking on ebay.

Oh and Thanks!

I will try the adjustment this weekend and post the results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast