GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Shimmy with Clunck sound over small bumps

Default Front Shimmy with Clunck sound over small bumps

I have replaced the following: shocks, upper and lower control arms, idler arm, tie rods, sway bar links, and front bearing. I have had the tires balanced on a hunter balancer, and rotated tires. Collier nut on steering shaft is tight. Still have shimmy.

I jacked the front end up and can shack push/pull either wheel about 1-2 inches with the same clunk. I can see the front end moves together. I can see the steering shaft move and U-joints look good. The sound seems to be coming from the steering shaft. But the collier nut is tight. The steering wheel shakes and can feel it through the whole car.

An HELP or insight??!!

Thanks.

Probably is your wheel... do you have E39 wheels? If so, did you use hubcentric shims?

Push pull which direction? At 9 and 3 o clock position or 12 and 6 o'clock position?

Shimmy is either upper control arm or wheels like I posted earlier.

Clunk is most likely sway bar links... retighten everything hard.

My 535 had the 55mph shimmy. Just put new tires up front,rotated front wheels to back shimmy is gone. I'm thinking it was either the tires were out of balance or one of the wheels up front.
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

Default Front Shimmy with Clunck sound over small bumps

I pulled the wheel at 9 and 3. I positioned myself to see the front end movement. I replaced the sway bar links with no change. I had replaced the control arms and the thruster arms 2 weeks apart. I replaced the tie rods and idler arm with alignment last week. No change, same shimmy.... I checked the column nut and it doesn't budge...

Sorry, I responded to last post with this information.

I pulled the wheel at 9 and 3. I positioned myself to see the front end movement. I replaced the sway bar links with no change. I had replaced the control arms and the thruster arms 2 weeks apart. I replaced the tie rods and idler arm with alignment last week. No change, same shimmy.... I checked the column nut and it doesn't budge... I have had the tires balanced and rotated as well...

I have basket weave stock rims for the E34. The tires are about 1 year old before the shimmy started and the chase began. The tires were balanced with a Hunter balancer...

Just had the tires re-balanced and rotated using a Hunter balancer. No change in shimmy...

The clunk I believe is now your upper strut mount.

The shimmy I am suspecting it might just be your wheel or tire... I suggest... if you have another set of wheels... put them on... or if you don't, bring out your spare tire and change one at a time to see if the shimmy goes away.

A bent wheel or broken tire can still balance out on wheel balancer but when on the road.... shakes. I have alot of experience on this... especially tire balancer... I actually owns one. If you don't calibrate it as you are supposed to every month with a reference tire... it will get out of balance even though machine reads balanced...

The oddity of tire balancer that is not calibrated is you get shaking at around 55MPH... slow speed you might feel lugging feeling and at speed of 70MPH... might comes out smooth.

Does it feel looseand clunk when you put on the brakes as well?

1990 535im 421,000 miles, 1987 325is, 1989 325is, 1990 m3, 1991 318is, 2001 X5 3.0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast