GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Considering a 1995 540i Sport

Default Considering a 1995 540i Sport

As I really like the looks of the e-34 body I am thinking of acquiring a 1995 540i sport. I know they are rare, only 200 made.

Anyone have any idea of what a good one is worth? Of course I want one as unmolested as possible, lowest reasonable mileage, records, yada-yada-yada.

Just thinking at this stage as my spouse does not know of my car thoughts! Also auto is fine, depending on condition. Any other info is helpful
    Last edited by Russell; 02-24-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Not a whole lotta money. Be absolutely sure the engine or the transmission is good! It doesn't matter if it is moltested or not in upgrades... Our car at this age will need something.

First thing I would do is change the springs... anyone you want... OE, OE Sport, or aftermarket lowering springs... depending on what shocks come with the car and what condition. With new springs, the car handles like a new car. It is that simple. I have changed many springs in many different cars and all with same result... it drives like a new car. Second most importnat is the sway bar links and bushings.

The only thing that drove me nut on the 540i is the upper control arm bushing... that is the only thing that bugs me. I got M5 bushings to put in... but that will have to wait until I get my engine sorted out.

Spring swaps are a good thing. Expect maintenance for sure. These are not unreliable cars, but they are complex enough to make fixing hard when something cool fails, like EDC. Though e34 and e36 are pretty decent this way. If you are not electronically and mechanically inclined/have experience on BMWs or Porsches and really want to keep it, spend lots on maintenance (wear items) as parts are cheap, but repair work must be done by someone who knows how to do it right. I only use people I trust on my cars, else I do it myself- that way I pay no more for maintenance and keep a reliable car. At this age though, what you save buying costs you 3-5x in maintenance, unles you do it all DIY and don't count your time.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I'm also considering one when I get home from Germany. I love the 520i I have right now, and I'm sure the more luxurious US spec cars will be even nicer. I've done complete suspension on these, along with some engine work. My main shortcoming in the DIY department is electrical, at least if it involves tracing down a short or dead wire somewhere. It's bad enough on my 66 Dodge that doesn't have much for wiring. The E34s have got to be an absolute nightmare. I don't even want to think about the new cars.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau

Not a single electrical problem on my car. Only the trunk loom is a possible problem but easily corrected by tape.