GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Transmission problem...1992 525i

Default Auto Transmission problem...1992 525i

Hello,

I'm in need of your support. Here are the key specs of my car.

1992 - 525i, auto trans, 150,000 km, M50 engine (I believe).

I've been driving this car since 2003 without any tranmissions issues. Now, I'm facing problem since last month with its tranmsmission. After startng the car in the morning its not movng at all when I shift the gear to "D" even at position 4 and 3 as well. Only it's moving in "R" reverse gear. After waiting 5 to 15 minutes, it starts moving in "D" position itself without any action from my side. I observed this behaviour after the cold start.

Looking forward for your advice please.

Put the last 7 digits of your VIN into realoem.com. It will tell you if you have an M50 (I am sure you have) and your transmission type (could be 1 of 3) which would be helpful. This information would also be useful:
    Does the display in the cluster reflect what the lever and mode switch say? i.e. does it say E D or S 4 etc correctly?
    Are your transmission oil cooler lines getting warm?
    Have you checked the auto transmission fluid level? Any leaks?
    Have you had a look underneath to see if the lever on the side of the transmission is actually moving freely and in time with the shift lever?
    Does it say 'transprog' on the cluster by any chance?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Check fluid level first. If fluid level is normal, then I'd change fluid and filter to see if any improvement.

Thanks.
    Some more info:

No "Trans prog" on the cluster now but I saw this message couple of months ago.
    How can I check the fluid level? Ther is no oil checking stick.
    Mode switch says "E D" in the cluster. It also shows EP, EN, E4, E3 and E2 when I shift the gear lever. But mode switch always stick with E. It doesn't shows other modes e.g. S and * when I am moving it forward or backward. I belive it's not working correctly.
    BTW which Transmission type I have in my E34 525i M50,1992? VIN is WBAHD61070BK34825.

Update: I just figure out that there is A5S300J auto trans (from Jatco) in my car.

Appreciate your support.
    Last edited by naz; 02-08-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Realoem says you have a Jan 1992 Euro left hand drive M50 auto. You can tell if you have a Jatco A5S300J or ZF 5HP18 (A5S310Z) from the drawings here:
    RealOEM.com * Diagram Selection
    (They come up if you put in your VIN.) If it is a Jatco, I would use the same procedure as the ZF which is here:
    http://akpp-city.ru/pdf/5HP18.pdf
    The fill and drain plugs are side to side on a Jatco whereas they are front to back on a ZF. Obviously, the higher one is the fill plug:-)

While you are underneath, check the operation of the shift cable. Sounds like your mode switch isnt working correctly but forward gears should still work.

If you have no success with topping up or the cable, I'd have fault codes read. Depending what they show, I would drain and drop the pan and see if there is clutch material or swarf in it. If not, I'd replace the filter, refill and take it from there.

Find proper fill instruction... all transmission fill must be warm not hot and running while filling until it pours back out. This is assuming you have no dipstick.

Fill is pretty much like a ZF : 24-11/41
    Untitled Document

Thanks whiskychaser & tiger for your advice and support.

Today, I managed to change the trans oil (around 8 litre) & filter. Now I will check in the morning again if it moves in the lever position 'E D' and will come back with good news hopefully.

Regards,

A little bit of searching revealed that the A5S300J mode switch isnt like the others. It switches a + voltage instead of ground. So maybe check you are getting power to it/all your fuses are OK?

Hope the oil/fliter change sorted the drive problem

Thunmbs up....today morning I started from cold, move the gear lever in D position and it was moving. Thanks dear whiskychaser and tiger. God bless you.

I checked all the fuses are good. However, I think there is something wrong with electrical syatem because some times central locking system and windows don't work properly. when I unlock the door with key, only that door opens and other three doors and boot door/gas fill cover are still remain locked. May be trans mode switch also affected due to some problem in its electrical system? Any further advice.
    Last edited by naz; 02-10-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast