GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Aftermarket taillight question

Default Aftermarket taillight question

Did some searching through the site and didn't find anything that seemed to address this.

My question is in regard to aftermarket taillights. Is there anything that needs to be done to the wiring in order to install these? The reason I'm asking is because I bought a nice looking used set on ebay a month ago with the clear white/red lenses. They all bolted and fit just fine, and the factory connections all plugged in OK. Problem was one of the factory connectors didn't hold firmly enough, so my backup light on the driver's side only worked intermittently. The major problem was with the taillights themselves. I suspect that the wiring in one of these assemblies had a short in it, as every time I stepped on the brakes, the fuse for the brake lights and wipers blew.

Although I suspect a wiring short in the taillights, I was just wondering if it could have been something else. Is there something else I should have got for these as an intermediate connection, or were the taillights just junk? I realize that some aftermarket parts just aren't all that great. I have no idea what brand these were.

Thanks.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau

do not know about the quality, I just once bought for a friend black headlights from a seller in Hongkong which we could not use because of the bad quality.Reflectors were very bad, some plastic stuff broken.
    Also, as you probably have a EURO/German version: in case the taillights are U.S. version, then probably you do not have the rear foglight connections, as US versions do not have these.

I bought a set of Depo brand new, crap connections & end sockets. Weather changes or bumps knock em offline. Lots of work to make them work all around. They look cool with the bulb silvered out tho.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I used to have DEPOs until they leaked and filled with water. The fitment to the wiring connectors were pretty solid on my pair, but the plastic bulb holders that are supposed to click in weren't the same fitment as factory tail lights so I had to use a soldering iron and melt a corner off to click them in (look at a factory tail light to see what I mean).

After the water leak I siliconed them up and had them for a couple more months before I had enough of them and bit the bullet - bought a set of Hella clear blinker / red tail lights from BMA, and have had zero problems since.

You really do get what you paid for.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau