GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 Cruise issue

Default E34 Cruise issue

Hi all, my 1992 525iT has cruise control, but it doesnt work!! Do the E34's have a master switch, something similar to the E46???? I just want to rule out any simple fixes before i get too carried away chasing the fault deeper.

also, self levelling suspension, more trouble than its worth? Mine has S.B.S (Saggy Bum Syndrome) and im tossing up whether to just delete it, or spend the $$ and have the SLS functioning again...

Last but not least!! after the engine has some warmth in it, it starts to hunt and carry on like its dying. i replaced the plugs and that eliminated the terminal knocking in it, also improved the efficiency, but could its hunting be attributed to the coil packs, or the MAF sensor - the gauze at the back of it has been punched out by some debris.

Thanks
    Tash
    1989 BMW 318i two door Schwarz - Boris
    1988 BMW 318i two door Lachssilber - Bruno
    1996 Audi A4 1.8T Aluminium Silver - No name, it has no soul.
    1992 BMW 525iT - Cashmere Beige - Barry Bimmalow

Hey Tash,
    Don't know what you mean about a master switch, but the cruise control on these is pretty easy to t-shoot and fix. I think BillB on here did a nice write up on refreshing his a few months ago.

Have you priced the components to the self leveling system??? Holy crap, last I checked it was over $800USD for just one of the shocks! My accumulators were shot, and both shocks were leaking when I finally replaced mine with a standard setup 2-3 years ago. I've been very happy with the results. Bavarian Auto makes a SLS delete kit that I used, but you could buy the components separately. The most time-consuming part is that with the wagon you have to remove all the floor and trim work in the cargo area to get access to the rear shock towers. Once I did that, and I had the kit, I took it to my trusted mechanic and he wrenched the old out and the new in for just the labor costs. It was less than 2 hours and about $170. By the way, I still have my old hydraulic shocks, I just couldn't bring myself to throw away something that is so expensive to replace! If you wanted to repair your leaking shocks, Shogun has done a write-up on that. The accumulators can't be repaired, they need to be replaced. My rear suspension (the car's, not mine) had gotten so worn out slowly thru the years that I hardly noticed how bad it was until I did the replacement and then it was like night and day difference.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Ha! $800 is a bargain, here in Aus, they close to $800 a side from what iv been quoted!! i think ill just delete it, toying with the idea of either Manual conversion + Turbo it, or convert it to a toyota 2JZ-GTE... Either way, 500HP wagon. Lol!! Has anyone ever done a 2J conversion...?

Great way to wreck a nice car by sticking some toyota crap in it.

Its a personal thing. I love the BMW engine, but im limited turbo wise. Unless im looking in the worng places, the M50 isnt easy to get a kit for. With a 2J, power is easily extracted with standard internals, over 500HP if done right. Theyr extremely common and are very reliable. Even the N/A engines have more pull. My other option is a Gen III 5.7L V8..

Quote Originally Posted by Tash_1991 View Post
    Its a personal thing. I love the BMW engine, but im limited turbo wise. Unless im looking in the worng places, the M50 isnt easy to get a kit for. With a 2J, power is easily extracted with standard internals, over 500HP if done right. Theyr extremely common and are very reliable. Even the N/A engines have more pull. My other option is a Gen III 5.7L V8..
    Tash the M50 is the best NA starting point BMW have unless you are going very modern indeed. An LS1 would be interesting, but no matter what to retain handling you have to keep the weight the same and the position correct. Plenty of room there, and I've seen GM V8s in e34s before with their own awful transmissions (manuals are fine but for some reason most seem to use autos). A step back in refinement though, only close if you use a really nice modern motor. Check out the M50s on BlownEuros they are not hard to do at all, you can start light and build up to the level you want measuring return, just RHD makes the exhaust a custom job which it inevitably is anyhow.

First thing tho, get a 5 speed gearbox- (old 6 cylinder e36s have them- they are cheap for parts, and popular)

The SLS will be suffering from slightly sagged springs. If only bad when the engine is not running, the valve (switch that sits on the rear sway bar) will need a slight adjustment to lock the height when you stop the engine- else the pressure bleeds out and it sags down.

Shogun has links that cover it, as well as easy repairs for the shocks which can be done by hand without much trouble at all. You should get under there and clean it all up then isolate the oil leaks, the only real cost is the bits that leak, of which there are not many. The worst thing that can happen is an accumulator, they are about $140USD each (you have two) but are only gone when ur suspension goes hard & bangey, esp w the euro down to .80 to the AUD & the USD at parity.

Styling/Tuning/Spare parts for BMW E34 - New parts
    BMA Auto Parts | Bumper to Bumper since 1978 | Oem auto parts, vw parts, sachs boge, mercedes benz parts, honda auto parts, saab parts
    Last edited by genphreak; 01-07-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Im just not sure. I love the sound my Waggie makes when its sitting there idling, its a beautiful noise :P but i want a serious HP machine! Hehehe the LS1, dad has been toying with putting one in my E30 two door.. Id like to see that work!!! Ill post a pic of the car, its pretty low in the rear LOL

Name:  IMG_0540.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  95.6 KBName:  IMG_0541.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  90.8 KB

It's tucking!!! lol the ride quality isn't hard like it's accumulator related... i'm not sure, i need to get keen and get under it today lol!!
    dont mind the dodgy hubcaps, need to get a new set, idiot mechanic that fitted new pads before i bought it lost both of the fronts!!!!

Boy, that sure looks familiar!
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

haha!! mines even the same colour! :P i <3 my Waggie... his name is Barry Bimmalow... LOL so you just replaced the SLS in your wagon???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast