GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Leaking

Default Leaking

I have had fun with the 525i (95) with no problems yet but with all the rain we have had there is a leak. There is water driping from the interior light on the left rear pillar could this be from the sunroof drain being blocked or something worse any ideas on what to check would be great thanks.

could be worth, we had that once, no clogged rain hoses, just the corrosion...., we documented it here
    FIXES - BODY

soldering the sunroof helped

Before you pull anything apart, fill up a drink bottle with water and squirt it down the rear drain hole in the sunroof. If it doesnt all pour out from the rear wheel arch then you have a leak down there somewhere. The holes often get clogged up or like Shogun says it may even be the rubber seal not working properly.

If it doesnt, remove the b and c pillar covers and drop the roofliner a little and see if you can work out where its coming from. A little talcum power can work wonders to find the leak too

On my e38 the floats blocking the holes had stopped 'floating' and so the water was overflowing but I dont think the e34 has that, its just an open hole.

Thanks for the info I see the roof lining is saging right at the top of the pillar so thats where I will start when we get a couple of dry days.
    This only started when I change where I park the car, I used to park with the nose slightly down hill but I moved it into the driveway with the back sloping downhill I might turn it around nose down till I can get to it.

I have the same problem.

Anyone please?

Search for my posts on the topics of leaks and drains... you'll see a wealth of info covering this and also windshield seals leaks caused by dodgy windscreen installations that the owner never notices until the car 'smells'. To unblock your sunroof drains, tape a 1m (3') piece of garden hose to your vacuum cleaner nozzle, open the sunroof up so you can poke it in and suck out the leaves and poultice that collect in the front and rear corners. I've hade a single eucalyptus (gum) leaf cause it. Done during a weekend wash. Next job...!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thank you!

Thanks for all the info I have looked at the rear shelf and all the lining seems to have lifted so I will pull out the shelf and look . I would be worried about the rear window leaking if it wasn't for the water from the left rear light ont pillar so as soon as I get a couple of dry days I will pull the lot apart and check if i can find where the leak is.