GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New auto trany time for my 95 525i?

Default New auto trany time for my 95 525i?

Upcoming auto trany failure at 207,000 miles

Looks like it has finally happened to me even after fluid and filter changes every 35,000 miles and driving like an adult.

Really starting to slip when shifting gears in Economy mode. Less so in sport mode. Was only doing it to 3rd. Also I often get a slipping sensation then a fairly hard shift. No trans code error. Just slipping shifts when under moderate acceleration. Less so when under light acceleration. I also experience an ocassional delayed reverse engagement and some pendulum shifting under light load.

Do not see any leaks and fluid level is fine and was checked a month ago.

None of the trany shops in my area can seem to do any diagnostics without a teardown. None of the BMW indy shops can do diagnostics or rebuild tranys. They install used or rebuilt units. I have not checked the dealer yet for diagnostics.

My dealer wanted $4,900 for a rebuilt unit not including labor. local trany shop rebuilts were about 2 grand with a 12 month warrenty Then there is a rebuilt unit with torque convertor and electronics update from a nationally known euro trany rebuilder for $3,500 with a 30 month warrently to be installed by a local BMW indy shop.

Nope, I do not want to convert to a manual. Guess I will just have a rebuilt trany installed after I confirm the problem. Hate this, but car is in excellent condition.
    Last edited by Russell; 11-02-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I'm guessing your have the 4l30E/a4s310R? Not too familiar with it but I can read like anyone else. AFIK 1st and 2nd gears have an adjustable band and I think this may come into play to prevent a thump when it goes into 3rd. A quick way to see if it is the actual clutch is to put it in gear with the shift lever and see if it still slips. Hopefully it doesnt and it may be 'just' a valve body issue. If you can, I'd have the codes read. One of these days I will find out which ones throw 'transprog' and which ones dont Meanwhile, a couple of files from my 'library' containing some electrical tests you can do and an SI about hard and pendulum shifts:

http://www.superflow.com/Transmissio.../BMW_4L30E.pdf

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/attachment%5B1%5D.pdf

I think there is a whole thread on here somewhere by the poster of the second item
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Default Cannot read codes?

For some reason my BMW indy could not get any of their code readers to read the codes when I stopped by today. My Peake tool would not work either. No trany work until that issue is resolved. This will be looked at Friday.

I also had a highly recomended independent trany shop look the trany. They felt it is worn out. They would get a rebuilt unit rather then rebuild it. I am waiting for the price etc. Turns out they are an authorized ZF repair shop according to my bmw indy. Might consider them.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    I'm guessing your have the 4l30E/a4s310R? Not too familiar with it but I can read like anyone else. AFIK 1st and 2nd gears have an adjustable band and I think this may come into play to prevent a thump when it goes into 3rd. A quick way to see if it is the actual clutch is to put it in gear with the shift lever and see if it still slips. Hopefully it doesnt and it may be 'just' a valve body issue. If you can, I'd have the codes read. One of these days I will find out which ones throw 'transprog' and which ones dont Meanwhile, a couple of files from my 'library' containing some electrical tests you can do and an SI about hard and pendulum shifts:

http://www.superflow.com/Transmissio.../BMW_4L30E.pdf

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/attachment[1].pdf

I think there is a whole thread on here somewhere by the poster of the second item
    Yes that is the correct trany.
    Thanks,

Yours is a GM strassbourg used in a zillion different cars Even the isuzu rodeo and troopers. Almost any transmission shop should be able to rebuild one fairly cheaply, much cheaper than the numbers you have been quoting

Bill,
    I wish it was true in my area. However, no such luck in my search.
    Thanks,

The master kit on here is less than 200, time to keep shopping for other trans shops or buy that rebuild manual and the master kit from these guys

or contact these guys on ebay 100 percent positive feedback for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    The master kit on here is less than 200, time to keep shopping for other trans shops or buy that rebuild manual and the master kit from these guys

or contact these guys on ebay 100 percent positive feedback for them.
    Bill, Thanks for the links. I will continue my shopping. The most recent concern is actually round 2. I checked in detail about a year ago.

I do not have the skills, location or time to rebuild a trany. Looks like the e-bay trany, plus shipping and installation would cost about 2 grand. The lowest cost I have seen so far at a local shop was around 2 grand. He rechecked and called back this afternoon It went to $2545 for a Transstar brand reman +labor+sales tax+fluid for a total of $3,150.
    Last edited by Russell; 11-03-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Thanks,

Bill's ebay price is what I would pay for... alot of wholesale tranny builder prices are in that range. See who can install that tranny for you... Usually around $500 for install.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Bill's ebay price is what I would pay for... alot of wholesale tranny builder prices are in that range. See who can install that tranny for you... Usually around $500 for install.
    Tiger and Bill,
    I appeaciate all the help. I am just do not want to buy an e-bay trany with no warrenty. I also will not even know the company that rebuilt it and then pay to have it installed. Then if it has any problems I am on my own (over long distance) and possibly starting all over again. Not enough security for me. also a lot of agrivation.

I think I have found what I plan to do I will use my local BMW indy who I have used since I bought my second BMW in 1991. This 95 is my third BMW. It will cost me a bunch more but I will have the security of a locally managed 30 month warrenty, new torque convertor and updated trany controller.
    Last edited by Russell; 11-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast