GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the window regulator?

Default Is this the window regulator?

So put the driver's window down to get at the mailbox. Went to put the window back up and it only made it halfway when it jammed (I think) and started making this noise (in the video).

Took off the panel expecting to see broken clips in the rails, but they look okay. I could "help" the window go up with my hand and it would operate normally. Now, after taking the video to record the sound, there is no attempted movement of the window. You can hear the motor click with the switch operation, but that's all it does. (Edit: 1/2 hour later when I tried it again and gave it some more "help", it did do the same as the video shows and I was able to get the window all the way closed.)

Is something just jammed, are the gear teeth ground off (then why wouldn't the motor still run?), or is the whole regulator just shot? Anyone run into this kind of noise before? Winter is coming, I need the window to close!
    Last edited by ScottyWM; 10-29-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Same problem w/Ginger. It's in the motor/gearbox, not the regulator. Motor time
    Bill B.
    95 525i

I've never done it this way, I've always replaced the entire motor/gearbox after drilling out the rivets and removing the regulator/motor assy. But this page that Shogun posted certainly is easier and cheaper to buy just the one gear on ebay

well, it might not always work, Russel posted this on Bimmerboard just recently:

window gear did not work
    Shayne, the window gear i ordered from Thailand arrived this week. As you stated it arrived very quickly. Unfortunatly, due to a different window motor design it did not fit properly. It was designed to fit the motor like you had with a larger shaft and square end. The shaft on my motor was smaller with the round end. I could try to shim it with say a piece of copper tubeing and it might work.

Anyway I want everyone who may be thinking of this repair to be careful. The part cost about 30 US dollars. As they say you "win some, lose some".

Thanks, Russell

1995 525i-Auto, M50TU-USA, E.A.T chip, 1/95 build

---------------

Hmm.. good info, thanks. I'm in no hurry to fix it, the window can stay up - so I may just take mine apart and see if the window gear would work. If I have a square shaft, maybe Russell will sell me the one he got that didn't work!
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Or autozone has the cardone reman with a lifetime warranty for 69.99, i usually end up using those on customers cars since the used ones from the junkyards are frequently broken or break right away. Front left is the same as the rear right. And front right is the same as the rear left.

I took the cover off the gearbox and sure enough the ring gear is missing about 10-12 teeth. Found the same motor at O'reilly for $54.99, so that sounds like the best way to go. Am I correct in that I still have to drill out the rivets and remove the regulator to replace the motor? I don't see any other way.
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Yes you have to drill out the rivets and remove the entire regulator motor assy. Some regulators have a big clockspring on them, those you have to clamp the linkage in place before you pull the motor off ,otherwise you get a big and possibly painful suprise when you pull the motor off of the regulator. I use 6mm bolts and nuts when putting them back together instead of rivets.

Just went ahead and replaced my regulator and moorer. Purchased them from BMA. Believe there were OEM parts as they looked just like the originals. No BMW logos. $203 with no shipping cost. No clockspring on the 95 525i. Bit fiddly to install new sliders/clips. use a dremel grinding/cutting disk to remove the rivet heads. The rivets took about 20 minutes to remove.

BTW, I have the window motor gear (ebay purchase from asia) that would not fit my 95 as the gear center hole was too large for my motor. Apparently BMW used different vendors who made the motors slightly different. Free to anyone who wants it. PM me.
    Last edited by Russell; 11-01-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Just thought I'd let you know my experience. I ordered this window lift motor from O'Reilly Auto Parts website for about $50 + core. Neither Autozone or Advanced Auto had avaiability on the part. Unfortunately, the O'reilly website has the wrong part listed for the driver's door window. It lists a 47-2120, 47-2119 is the correct part. I sent them a message about it, maybe they'll correct it. It took me three trip to the local store to get an exchange. But it looks to be a remanufactured OEM part, even had the BMW logo on the connector. Works great. Stupid me though... I put everything back together only to realize that I neglected to connect the door pull cable! DOH !!!
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast