GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Buying a 540i auto '93 (e34 M60B40)

Default Buying a 540i auto '93 (e34 M60B40)

I want to buy a 540i to prepare it. what should I inspect primarily for not having problems? is automatic, some already transformed to manual?

The automatic transmission is the most expensive part of the car. The trans needs to be in good health as an overhaul will exceed the car's value.
    BMW's recommendation was that it NOT be serviced. As a result most were not and lots of them are at death's door 16 years on.
    The engines are also of concern, research "nikasil" for answers.
    Great cars when in form, endless moneypits when not.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I have one, and quite frankly disagree with Ross.

All e34s, and for that matter, all BMWs of this age, are money pits. They are worth exceedingly little, but cost as much to maintain as a newer BMW, such as an e46. 5ers cost more than 3ers, because they are bigger, a lot more complex, and not as well thought out from a reliability perspective.

The good thing about an old e34 is it is very 'work-on-able', very rewarding and you can buy 3 of them for the price of an e46. But definitely, buy a factory manual car, as these are incredible to drive. The older autos are a bit slushy. Nikasil problems are mostly long gone now in the US, and don't affect other countries where the fuel has lower sulfur levels.

Costly items are the top-end driveline accessories such as EDC, clutches, auto trans (but all auto trans are expensive to repair). I have a spare 5HP30 which I picked up for $50. One day, it will come apart and be rebuilt. I don't think it is impossible, and I know ZF do them regularly. There is a ZF workshop in most countries, so if you have trouble, you can always take it to them or buy parts locally. No biggie. Electronics can be trouble on old cars, but hey, buy a spare one that's been pranged when you want the bits. So long as you have space for 2 cars and a garage, e34s make for cheap, fun motoring. Else, buy a good used one, they come cheap too, compared to later models that have not had everything pampered and/or restored.
    Last edited by genphreak; 10-28-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!