GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M50 Oil Level Switch

Default M50 Oil Level Switch

Name:  BMW M50 oil pan diagram.jpg
Views: 2472
Size:  17.1 KBHello. I know I've asked this before, but still looking for an answer to my problem.

Question: Is there a difference between the 1992 525i (M50) and 1995 520i (M50)oil level switches?

I've been looking all over online, and so far as I can tell, this was a common part on the M50 engine for several years. What I can't seem to find out is whether there was a difference in the part between the two model years. The part in my 95 car doesn't seem to have the metal wire guard on it, or the wire that extends from the part. Yet, the dash shows that the oil level is consistently at one quart and that the engine requires service. I have a good working switch from my old 1992 car which has the wire protector and the wire on it (as shown in the pic below). Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a connector in the engine wiring to connect it to. The realoem diagram shows one switch, part number 12611748193, but two different mounting plates. One of them has the wire guard, the other (Cover lid/#10) has nothing but the O-ring. #10 has a part number shown in the part number legend, the other (the metal guard piece) does not, indicating that it's used or shown on another diagram. I've looked at several different diagrams and can't locate which other applications this plate is used.

So, is there a difference in the way that these switches were wired between the two model years? If my 95 switch is missing something and is not plugged in, why does the dash display read anything at all? Does the 520 use a slightly different switch than the 525 (like from a 3 series? The 518 doesn't seem to use this switch at all.)? If the switch in my car isn't supposed to have the wire coming up the side of the pan, where DOES it plug in?

Sorry, but, this has me baffled.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 6670charger; 07-26-2011 at 07:30 AM.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau

The 520i doesnt always have the same level as spec as the 525i so there may be a simple answer - your 1995 520i doesnt have an oil level switch. This is for a 12/94 build euro 520i manual and it doesnt have one. It just has the cap and 'o' ring that blocks the hole where the switch would go.
    RealOEM.com * BMW E34 520i OIL PAN/OIL LEVEL INDICATOR
    The service indicator can be reset. So can the oil service indicator which is a row of green bars which reduce in number with mileage. Have you got one green bar left and are you reading that as a quart - or does it actually say it in check control? Wouldnt mind a pic if it is the latter as that seems pretty smart to me
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

OK. That makes sense. Would explain why it only appears to have a "cover" over the hole where the sensor switch goes. As I recall, the dash just shows one green bar and one amber bar with "service engine" in red. If it can be reset, I need to find out how to do that, since I change my own oil. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow as the car is at the shop on a lift, and the shop isn't open tonight. I hope to get the rear struts assembled, installed and the new rear brake drums on in a couple of hours. May or may not make it.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau

All you ever wanted to know about service interval lights etc:
    Service Interval Light System
    How to reset the SI and oil lights:
    How to reset oil service lights in '95 E34 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Mind how you go with those springs
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Front springs went well. We had to be really careful as they loaded up quite a bit. They are now safely installed in the car, along with all new front end components. Even got it more or less aligned to within an eighth of an inch. Tomorrow night comes the rear struts. They shouldn't be quite as bad other than getting the alignment of the upper mount right.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau