GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Shifting Issue With 1995 530i

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trans Shifting Issue With 1995 530i

Hello,

I am in need of some professional expertise on this one!

Here are some specifics of my car:

1995 530I with the 3.0L M60 engine, Automatic transmission

Yesterday I started up my car to take it in for emission testing. Car fired up with no issues but when I put it in reverse the shifter was sticky (binding), The binding was also apparent when shifting to forward gears however all gears worked as usual. There were no strange noises and no fluid leaks anywhere on the car.

I drove the car to the emission station and went through with no issues, however the sticking (binding) was still there. Again all gears functioned properly with no noises.
    After arriving home I lifted the car on jack stands and went under the car to further investigate. I removed the shifter cable from the transmission **** rod and cycled the shifter inside the car to check cable operation. Cable seemed to function smoothly with no sticking. I then checked the transmission metal shift rod (metal bracket on side of trans where cable attaches) for proper operation through all gears. The rod appeared to be a bit sticky so I sparayed some lubricant around the seal area and cycled it again through the gears. Now the shift rod shaft cycles very smoothly with no sticking. I am a happy guy now or so I thought:

The cable was re-attached and adjusted. I then started the car and quickly noticed there is now no REVERSE.
    When the car is put in PARK it appears there is a load on the motor, but the car does not move and the rear wheels are locked.
    I have tried manually shifting the transmission with cable disconnected and have the same results. Numerous attempts were made re-adjusting the cable with same results.

Has anyone out there had this issue before?

Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated as I am lost on this one.

Best Regards,

Terry

If you cant get gears using the lever on the side of the gearbox, it is possible that the selector shift valve may be broken. It is only made of plastic. Its is ZF part no. 1056327173:
    http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...cars/5HP18.pdf
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Will I need to remove the entire valve body to replace this part?

If so is there a complete kit to replace all springs, balls, gaskets, etc for this transmission?

Regards,

Terry

You can drop that part of the valve body on its own using a T27 torx bit. Note the screws have different lengths. Support the lip of the valve body though as there wont be many screws left holding it up. When you drop the filter have a pan ready as it will be holding some ATF above the body. You can buy the full valve body kit (5HP18.VBK) including the valve. But you can get the valve on its own from places like this: Selector Valve
    Inspect the port where the valve runs and give it a clean. Lube the new valve with some ATF and make sure it moves without any resistance. There are no check balls or springs in that part but there is a sprung pin that sticks down through the channel plate a tiny bit. Just line up the part of the body you removed carefully when you put it back. Remember to hook the 'C' shape on the end of the valve onto the shift lever. If you are in the US you almost certainly fill with Dexron III (red) but the type of ATF and the filling procedure are in the parts catalogue listed above.
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 07-20-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Ok,

Today I replaced the broken selector valve, re-installed the valve body, and filled the trans back up with Dextron II. I filled the trans cold with fluid until it started running out the fill hole, then started engine and ran it through the gears. Everything seemed to function correctly now. All gears work and I have Park and Reverse now.

I let the car warm up and then shut it off. Pulled the fill cap, and filled it up again until it started to trickle out, then replaced the cap and dropped the car.

The g-friend and I took the car for a ride down the street and everything was fine until we got a block away from the house. Then the unexpected happened, trans strarted slipping and error came up on dash "Trans Program" see owners manual.

What does this mean? I am wondering if the fluid level is not full...

Damn, I thought I had this figured out and fixed! Not so it seems.....

Car is back up on jack stands for round 2 now. I pulled the fill plug and a small amount of fluid came out. Have not tried to refill to see if it is low yet.

Do you have any more advise for me or what I should do next?

Thanks again on this your help is much appreciated.

Terry

Sounds like you lost your trans fluid. Check for leaks.

No leaks anywhere under the car.

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by 1995bmw530i View Post
    Ok,

I let the car warm up and then shut it off. Pulled the fill cap, and filled it up again until it started to trickle out, then replaced the cap and dropped the car.
    Terry
    Dont stop the engine when you are filling or you may not get enough ATF in there. How much did you put in?

I'm sorry but do you mean leave the engine running (in park or in gear with e-brake on) and the fill cap open when topping off the transmission?

If so that might be the problem as I have been doing it with the engine shut off.

Thanks Again Whiskychaser.

Yes thats what I mean. If you dont have the engine running it wont suck up enough ATF. Sometimes you can hear it - sounds like a kid finishing a milk shake. If you put in less than 4 litres I doubt it is enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast