GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: fuel line and gas tank questions

Default fuel line and gas tank questions

Last weekend, while trying to replace a section of rusted fuel line, I discovered that it was rusted through up near the top of the tank. I got hold of a decent piece of fuel pipe and have it nearly bent to order, but I don't know exactly what the bends are beyond where it rusted through.

1. Do I have to drop the tank to find this out, or, can I access this area if I remove the right-rear inner fender splash guard?

2. How difficult is it to remove the tank? I know there are two large allen-type bolts to the rear of the retaining straps. I assume that will free the tank to drop it down?

3. I also assume that the upper portion of the fuel tubing inserts to a rubber hose or something which attaches it to the pump. Does it attach in some other way? Is there something else I need to get in order to link the tubing to the pump?

I hope to get the car running on Saturday. If there's something I need to finish the job that I'm not aware of, it would be nice to know and pick it up somewhere tomorrow.

Thanks.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    look at the drawings on RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

its all there
    Good point. I looked at the diagram (and printed it) for the fuel lines. Never thought to look at the gas tank.

I assume that the fuel lines connect to the pump via rubber tubing simlar to how they connect to the metal lines at the engine?

Thanks.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau

to the pump there are hoses, also the return line, at least the visible stuff
    Engine -- Fuel pump replacement

pics are from E32 750, therefore 2 pumps, but basically same on your car

Pump is inside the tank, top of tank are rubber lines. From the top of tank all the rubber is accessible from the rear fender well. That is where the metal lines start running so you should not have to remove the tank. Doing the tank is quite a job and I would say that 2 people are required to put it back in... aligning the filler tube back into the fuel door area is about the hardest part.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy