GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikasil

Default Nikasil

Anyone out there have problem free Nikasil's? If so, any idea's on why? My 95 540/6 has 147.000kms with no problems so far. (touch wood)
    Spitfire.

Mine is still running 94

Rich in Sandy Ego Guest

Default Just a matter of time

Unless you make your own sulfur-free gas, it's just a matter of time. My 94 finally lost the head gasket at 93,000 miles, mostly freeway. All top-grade California gas, too. The idle is just bumpy for a while until the cylinder wall degradation just gets to be too much and the rear cylinders start leaking badly.
    I was lucky and found a low-mileage factory replacement engine to swap. There are no more factory blocks available, they were $10k US anyway.
    Another option when the time comes is the machine shop in Sacramento that does steel cylinder liner replacements. They claim to have had very good luck.

http://www.bmrparts.com/engine1a.htm

At least you can be sure that the car is worth a new engine. It's just disappointing that BMW allowed this whole Nikasil debacle to happen. Their engines are supposed to be untouchable!!!

Whatever... don't care.

No probs!

Just because folks run Premium, doesn't guarantee low sulphur. Personally, I worry less about the issue than I do about getting my car written off by being hit by some idiot not paying attention to what he's doing on the road.

Jeff and I like the smell of Nikel in the morning!

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

144K miles and no problems whatsoever. it's been a FL car its entire life. If it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it ever will.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

That's some scary news Rich. I have a '94 540i with 112,000 miles on it from southern california. I bought it about a year ago and now have it in Arizona. It runs totally fine (I think). -- Mike

Bought a '95 530i 10 weeks ago. 62K miles now (that's why I bought it). Just a joy and the engine runs like a top.

The sulfur content of US gasoline has been more strictly regulated since the mid 90's and if your block hasn't yet deteriorated, it's less and less likely to be exposed to high sulfur. Unless you're buying Shell gasoline in the deep South, but then your fuel guage will have been destroyed first.

Default Thats not true, you need to do a little research, the

sulfur levels still haven't changed much since the mid nineties in most of the US.... and Rich had a california car that has always had low sulfur gas since the early nineties... less than 30ppm if i recall... one tenth of the national average.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater
    Bought a '95 530i 10 weeks ago. 62K miles now (that's why I bought it). Just a joy and the engine runs like a top.

The sulfur content of US gasoline has been more strictly regulated since the mid 90's and if your block hasn't yet deteriorated, it's less and less likely to be exposed to high sulfur. Unless you're buying Shell gasoline in the deep South, but then your fuel guage will have been destroyed first.
    Last edited by Bill R.; 06-17-2004 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    sulfur levels still haven't changed much since the mid nineties in most of the US.... and Rich had a california car that has always had low sulfur gas since the early nineties... less than 30ppm if i recall... one tenth of the national average.

I beg to differ. Regulations have changed significantly. If sulfur is the culprit rather than poor block manufacture, the sulfur content of US gasoline has decreased significantly.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/gasoline.htm

http://www.epa.gov/tier2/

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels.htm

With Rich's CA car, I think the 30 ppm you quoted is correct. I recall that the national standard is now down to 100 ppm vs the older 500 ppm or greater that existed. BUT, we can't have it both ways. Is the nikasil problem created by sulfur erosion or block manufacture. BMW put the finger on sulfur content and claimed no problems with the alumisil replacements. I've always wondered what the true nikasil failure rate is, I think that is the gist of this thread.

Mine runs wonderfully and I like it.....

Edit: Just found this.....

Issue Brief

On January 1, 2004, the Tier 2 low-sulfur gasoline regulations began nationwide. The phase-in of these standards will be completed in 2006. In 2006, specifications for all gasoline content will change from the previous 500 ppm sulfur ceiling for gasoline outside of California to a required 30 ppm average and a ceiling of 80 ppm.
    Last edited by Sweetwater; 06-17-2004 at 12:11 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast