GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replacing rubber fuel lines

Default Replacing rubber fuel lines

Hi guys,

I'm going to be replacing the fuel pump and while I'm there I'm thicking I will replace the 20 year old rubber fuel lines also, from the pump to the hard lines, I have already done the rubber fuel lines in the engine bay.

Has anyone done this before and how much did you need?

I'm thinking I will get 2m to be safe.

no worries...ill just get 2 m

Hey BigFriss
    My fuel lines are 20 years old and I have thought of replacing a few of them.
    Could you let the group know how it goes.
    I's appreciate it. --- Dom

Sorry about the bad spelling. --- Dom

sure, i will get around to it in 3-4 weeks time

The ones in the engine bay are probably more important, being exposed to a lot more heat.

I replaced the ones in my engine bay two weeks ago. I used about 2 m of new 8X13 hose and had some left over. They weren't hard to change at all, although the upper front requires a little left-handed wrenching on the clamps. The upper rear I had to cut to remove the old one, but, the new one went on really easy. A little dab of petroleum jelly near the openings in the new hose really helps them go on smoothly. Just make sure you have enough hose clamps, align them properly before tightening, and then tighten them fully so you don't end up with any leaks. The only parts I had to remove under the hood was the plastic engine cover, and the cold air duct going to the throttle body.

88 E30 325i Convert
    61,000 miles
    Cirrusblau

I replaced all of mine from the tank forward about 2 years ago when i did the gas tank and fuel pump, i used bmw and /or mercedes fuel line from bma... I
    noticed last week that most of the lines i replaced are now full of cracking. I don't know if its because of the ethanol in our gas attacking the rubber lines or if
    the fuel lines in general are suffering from a degradation in quality like most other parts these days. I'll be replacing them all again soon, i will probably try to buy a better quality aftermarket line. On a side note i notice world pac is carrying the silicone vacum lines in a couple of colors for bmw these days.

I did the same as Bill R. on my 750, fuel lines from tanl to engine room plus fuel return lines, plus vacuum lines. Plus the hoses under the right rear fender where the expansion tank for fuel is.
    I bought marine grade fuel hoses from this shop in the U.K. chandlery items - Get great deals on jabsco pumps, international paint items on eBay Stores! (just search there for marine grade fuel hose)
    Bill and Kriss, check these marine grade fuel hoses, most of them are for gasoline and also
    Approved for biodiesel and all alcohol blends! Examples
    marine grade fuel hose | eBay

yeah I'll be getting the fuel hose from BMA. I wont be getting anything special though as I have been running e10 for a few years now with no complaints so far.

Its about usd$7 per meter. BMA is also carrying the silicome vacume lines also.

Shogun, I looked into getting a TRE fuel pump, but BMA dont stock them. I think I will get a Bosch 040 pump ($210) instead beasue I like the idea of Boschs reputation in quality.

From the tank forward, approximately how much hose did you guys use?

I bought 5 meters, but from tank on my 750 is not much hose to engine room, only the short hoses for the fuel filter, then pipe till they come on the left side front into engine room, and from there also quite short hoses, but of course my one is a V12 which is probably different. I bought more than enough, just to have stock for our wrenching team.
    You have to guestimate based on your engine room.
    For us -same for you- living outside of the U.S. shipping cost is more than the value of the hoses usually.