GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie e34 owner with possible fuel problems :(

Default newbie e34 owner with possible fuel problems :(

Hi fellow Bimmer owners . I've managed to buy a mint '94 100% original 520i ,( Pics to follow as soon as I can sort . This car is in unbelieveable condition and tugged at my heart strings as soon as I saw it. ( I have to confess to being a previous merc owner but I've found a new love . It does have one niggling issue tho. It's very hard to start. When running if you try to accelerate too quickly from tickover she will try to cut out and stall. There is a sucking sound from around the air inlet manifold as she tries to stall but I've done the old carb cleaner around the lot trick and no leaks were found . My first point of attack was going to be the fuel pump but i cant find it and I cant find a workshop manual for it anywhere. Haynes manuals stop at '91 and start again at '96 ?????????? Please help as she looks stunning on my drive but should be out on the road

I think I'll try changing the injector seals first. Can anyone give me a quick heads up on how to do it please

You need to score a Bently E34 manual to get ideas how to work on these things. You may have the infamous intake gasket leak syndrome going on, really doubt its the injector seals at this point. You will have a gasket between the throttle body housing and intake, also where the intake bolts to the head. Sometimes the leak is underneath and the carb cleaner trick will fool you but all you need is a real small leak to mess things up.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default thanks

Thanks Regal. The previous owner threw quite abit of money at the problem changing sensors and stuff in a garage but didnt cure it. I'm thinking of taking the inlet manifold off and changing all the gaskets just so that I can rule that out of the equation. I dont want to have to do all the gaskets twice tho so can the injector seals be done without taking the inlet manifold off a second time and damaging the new gaskets ?

Default update

Just noticed something that may be of use. I've just noticed that when you try to rev from idle that the inlet manifold distorts slightly ???? Should the engine really be sucking that hard on the manifold ? Hmmmmmmm........

Default ticking ?

Can somebody tell me what this is please ? ITs ticking like mad even after I've removed the keys from the ignition and I have to disconnect it to make it stop !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First thing first... get fuel pressure reading... when car is off... when car is running... and after it shuts off... and 15 minutes later.

Sounds like a fuel pump problem.

Default update

Had an auto tuner guy check out the fault codes. Only 2 came up. Temp sensor isnt changing and rpm sensor. The rpm sensor wont go away. I've changed the crank shaft sensor but its still there ??? Any idea's. He confirmed no leaks at the inlet manifold. There is however a constant sucking noise from the dashboard. It's not from the engine compartment and definately from the dash. Sounds like a hiss from a stereo but there isnt one fitted. The clocks have been changed at some point as I have the old ones with the car but could this have something to do with the hiss/sucking noise. I managed to sit in another 520 today and his didnt hiss/suck ??????

Maybe post what codes you are getting?
    With regard to the hissing, have you got a small bore pipe from the inlet manifold or T'd off the brake booster hose? It would go into the bulkhead near the heater pipes. If so its part of the ventilation system and connects to a valve affair behind the panel above your feet. If it has come off it could sound like the noise is coming from the dash. I've only ever seen one on a 535i but if you have it and its disconnected, its a source of vacuum leak you dont need.
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Default Whoop whoop

Whiskey chaser you are top of my christmas card list ! There is a small bore pipe from the inlet manifold to the bulk head. It's definately not healthy and is perishing cos if you rub it your hand turns black. I cant seem to find it in the car tho ? The hiss is definately in the car not the engine bay. Trying to remove the glove box as we speak .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast