GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Gas shocks - oil or no oil?

Default Gas shocks - oil or no oil?

Just removed Boge 36-676F's from the front. Thought they were hydraulic as the strut was soaked but research shows they were gas. New pair of Sachs 100 797arrived today - £51 delivered for the pair!!! Bentleys says no oil. Sachs instructions say add as per manuf. instructions. Of course there was oil in there. I've drained it and dont propose to put any more in. Apart from telling me I'm a lucky b.....d getting the shocks so cheap, do we agree I dont add oil?

Oh, and no smart comments about those shocks not fitting my car or I will bore you with an even longer story
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

I always add oil in there, if for nothing extra quiet behavior, just finished up with KYB struts. I use 10W-40 or synthetic or gear oil or whatever mix is in the recycle bucket, I don't really care. You wont hurt any insert that is sealed except a bilstein which proved to be a POS no matter how many times I replaced them and it had nothing to do with the oil.

Add the oil, if it don't quiet things down at least next time you try to replace them they wont be rust locked to the housing ;-)

BMW had some idea to add oil, could have been a rust lock problem however I read that it was to help cool the strut, either way it's a good way to get rid of old oil.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

There was about half a cupfull in each so I will put the same back in.
    Thanks for that

I add enough that it pours out the top when the strut is inserted.

Measure? Sounds too intensive.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The oil is there for heat transfer, regardless of the strut type. Always use oil if the bottoms of the struts are sealed, any grade motor oil is fine, approx. 50cc. If there are screws or cap plugs on the bottom of the struts, then don't use oil. The only reason for not using oil is it can penetrate a gasket or o-ring seal on the bottom of the strut, such as Bilsteins.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

While my back was turned elves turned the tapered washer on one of the shocks upside down. Of course I only realised it when I had put the nut on top and noticed the thread didnt come through as far as expected.
    While I was doing it again a friend called. He said his budget compressors didnt look as good as mine. His had let go and broke his thumb. This was a cue for one of mine to slip. I got a way with a slight graze on my knee. Elves again!
    Its not covered in Bentleys but I think they live in the front suspension.