GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: LAD Elimination Kit / Parts involved? '93 525iT

Default LAD Elimination Kit / Parts involved? '93 525iT

I have an issue with one of my self leveling struts leaking and was looking into my options.
    One option is trying to fix the strut as seen on another forum. http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-ser...ks-repair.html
    This is kind of over my head as a mechanic. And I fear if I fix one expensive component of the LAD system another will fail shortly after...
    Another is to get the elimination kit from bavauto. But as I'm too broke to buy the replacement strut, I'm also trying to get the best for my dollar on the elimination kit. Does anyone know all of the components included with the kit so I can maybe shop around and piece it together for maybe less than the $400 bavauto wants? I'd also like to maybe customize the kit... Meyle heavy duty mounts, springs (any suggestions on good ones?).

Thanks for any input!

to eliminate LAD the simplest is to use a brake line and connect feed line and return line of the Pentosin to the regulating valve under rear axle, so that Pentosin is always running in cycle.
    What else you need is on my website below.
    The original springs are softer for LAD, also the shock mounts are needed new as they are different from non LAD

more here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1379064
    Last edited by shogun; 03-09-2011 at 05:34 AM.

What E34s have LAD?
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Noriyori,
    I eliminated mine just over a year ago after the 2nd shock started leaking. I got the bavarian auto kit, mainly for ease of ordering <LOL>. I also had BMA quote me parts for doing the same job, and it was slightly cheaper as I recall. If you talk to Patrick or Yves at BMA and tell them what you are doing they will know what you need.

I was prepared to do the job myself, but after talking to my trusted indy repair shop decided to let them do it. I removed all the interior bits and pieces in the back myself to get access to the top shock mounts. That was a pretty big job, more time consuming than the actual shock & spring replacement I'm sure! I think Shoguns site has the instructions on doing that. But with that done, the shop did the elimination in just over an hour and billed me the hourly rate - total bill was just over $100, can't beat that!

It was money well spent. I hadn't realized how bad the rear suspension had gotten until I replaced it!!
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesAFerg View Post
    What E34s have LAD?
    Touring

Thanks for all the info! Just a couple of questions before I start ordering parts... for the springs is there a certain size/tension? Or just find a decent stiff one? And do the Bilsein HDs for the rear come with bumpstops and sheathing? They did for the fronts.

check in RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog for the springs, standard will do.
    If the Bilstein come with bump stops etc you have to ask the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    check in RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog for the springs, standard will do.
    If the Bilstein come with bump stops etc you have to ask the seller.
    Shogun - I was under the impression that the sedan 'standard' spring will not work. The touring needs a heavier spring. I suppose a '95 touring spring from realoem.com would work though?
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

I was asking here because realOEM does not have the part numbers listed for any of the springs...even the 95s They just leave those out. I guess there is no measurement of tension for springs so I can to go to a retailer and ask "hey I need springs of this size and tension."?
    most of the places online also do not have springs for the 93 touring....

Well, I ordered the Bilstein HDs and after some more research I've narrowed it down to a choice of either H&R sport springs for the whole car, a set of M-Tech rear springs or Bavauto can order me the stock rear springs. Which was tough to find as real oem doesn't have the part number for the springs.

When I did the fronts I didn't replace the springs so I'm kind of thinking the H&R set for the whole car which WILL lower it but within an aceptable level. But budget wise... we'll see.

I'm getting under there today to check all the bushings and such I'll need to replace in the job. And I'll post back with a full write up of the job when I get it done.

Thanks for everyones help!