GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: M50 Eng 4L30E Trans RRR - Far More Than I Ever Expected

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Wow... I re-read this whole thread. I remember this and every moment an addition was posted. Brings back quite a bit of memories too. Fantastic job and read, reminds me of good days.
    Wow, that is really weird because I just did the EXACT same thing and thought the same thing as well. I re-read the whole thread, although my memory was not all that clear and the re-read freshened up and filled in some memory gaps.

The reason I did the re-read was because I stumbled upon a similar but better thread from a really good dude over on bimmerfest. I have an E60 550i N62N and a guy crazier than me did an engine RRR on his E60 545i N62 so I read his at http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=731948 and thought of mine. If you have the hours, his is really worthwhile as he did an alusil quad vanos V8 with valve gear. Hell of a read.

So I had to re-read and re-live mine. Wish I had documented the tranny rebuild. Either way, thanks for all the kind words. Hardest and best thing I've ever done car-wise.
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

I just read the whole 32 page thread, wow... I really don't know if I could do that, especially with all those funds for new parts and tools and all. It reads as he did this all alone in an open garage in the winter in NC. NC isn't bad as MI but I'm now in TN and it's 27 degree, not good wrenching weather to me even with gloves. I don't think I will move up to those newer Bimmers, like the E34 and that is as complex as I would want to go.

The new 530 is a total turd compared to Nikka and does not even turn on til it hits 3800 RPM, Might be sensors but who knows. This engine is very clean though, think it was replaced once too, burns zero oil too. Cams could be off but could be simple as a sensor. No clue how to even test this kind of issue. Than again I never checked what plugs are in it yet. 27* not going to check this too soon.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 11-15-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    I just read the whole 32 page thread, wow... I really don't know if I could do that...It reads as he did this all alone in an open garage in the winter in NC.

The new 530 is a total turd compared to Nikka and does not even turn on til it hits 3800 RPM,
    I like driving the E60 550i because it has a lot of push, super smooth, fast. Pretty awesome. The thought of tearing it all the way down though is nothing short if terrifying. That pextel kid has big balls and some serious determination. Like Navy Seal/Ninja master sack.

On the 530, my wife's 07 525i has 215 hp and it's got about the same acceleration as the 189hp 93 525i. I like the E34 much more, all the sensors and such on the E60 are a total annoyance. That E60 has had a cam position sensor fail (P0015 Cam position actuator, timing over-retarded) $70 sensor. AND it's had the DTML pump fail, P2402 EVAP Emissions system leak detection pump control circuit ($100 pump) and the COP units failed, i don't recall how much the Bosch COPs were, oh and the starter, and leaky oil cooler gasket, leaky filter housing gasket, cracked fuel gauge sending unit. All that before 120k miles while the E34 has had far fewer issues in 180k. More electronics equals more trouble.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

Default You like apples?

As of about ten minutes ago.

[/URL]

How about them apples?
    Almost 30k on the rebuild and regular compliments on her beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by 93 525 Paul View Post
    As of about ten minutes ago.

[/URL]

How about them apples?
    Almost 30k on the rebuild and regular compliments on her beauty.
    Almost broken in now, once she is you can flog the daylights out of her and unleash the full potential!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It's the plastic bits in the engine that get me. Not just water pumps but simple things like valves that prevent oil drain from the head and other locations like the filter housing. Any plastic items inside the engine is asking for trouble. Deteriorates fast and painfully hard to repair. They did it to all the V8s and V12s after 2000 (and some before) and risking what little remains of their reputation for quality.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    It's the plastic bits in the engine that get me. Not just water pumps but simple things like valves that prevent oil drain from the head and other locations like the filter housing. Any plastic items inside the engine is asking for trouble. Deteriorates fast and painfully hard to repair. They did it to all the V8s and V12s after 2000 (and some before) and risking what little remains of their reputation for quality.
    I don't get the fascination with plastic. I do give BMW credit for using high grade stuff, far superior to the crap used on my '03 Lincoln LSV8, that is a total turd shiite fest. I like the E34 M50TU metal mania. Like the check ball in the head. 100% metal...

Default Hey Admin!

Hey All - long time no...I am wondering what's wrong with the photo links, I'd like to reset them so they work properly. This is a good post and worth a read now and then (to me anyway.) I went to my photobucket account and it's live, it's fine, it's at 2% of capacity, so it's not overloaded or out of compliance or dead.
    I compared the links today to the links I used back in 2012 (yikes 8 years ago???) and the diff is that Photobucket upgraded to SSL old links are all http and the new links are all https. I pasted a new link in a preview message and it's still fuzzy and watermarked.
    HELP! (Thanks in advance)

Paul, photobucket changed from free to paid service, if you do not pay, the posted pics are blurred. Only way is to upload the pics on another free uoload service or here on the forum server. Imageshack also changed to paid service, I lost a lot of pics, tinypic is also gone since last year

Well, photobucket sucks ass.
    E34s do not.
    This red beauty has 241,000+ miles on her now. 71,000 on the refresh. She overheated last week (thermostat maybe) and while waiting for the tow, a guy gave my bro his number and email said he wants to buy her. Excellent taste in cars.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast