GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M50 Eng 4L30E Trans RRR - Far More Than I Ever Expected

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Its a brave man that takes on an engine and a transmission rebuild at one time:-) I am really impressed with your preparation and how clean everything looks. Great stuff
    Thanks! Brave or dumb, hard to tell the difference sometimes. Plain scary to think of all the little things that could crop up on restart. I started out thinking this was a HG job and I just got sucked further and further into the abyss. At one point I was going to yank the engine and was advised that pulling the engine AND tranny is smarter. Then, the "hey, the tranny is right there, it has 178k on it..." Yikes. On the cleanliness I've gotten more deliberate as I've gotten older. The "Clean room wipes" I learned about on Pelican Parts are a God send. My stainless steel workbench is easy to keep clean and that Simple Green Max works really well. Ziploc bags are really handy too.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Hahhah... more 'M p0rn'! Do shoot more close-ups of all the booty on that sweet piece of black metal... as yo get the time and inclination.
    The pump is a nice piece of work. Are you swapping the drive sprocket? I can't see how bad it is but on the M30s I know the sprocket teeth wear sharp too but you have to put in a new chain and both sprockets else they will chew each other to bits in time. They don't cost much and make for good piece of mind.
    Yeah, I wish I shot more photos of the tranny build, you never regret having too many photos. The pump photo doesn't show it but the oil pump drive sprocket looked new. Having worked in a bike shop for 7 years and raced karts for 8 years, I know sprocket wear patterns and that sprocket is pristine. Yes, at $33 the pump sprocket isn't much but the low mechanical resistance and precision chain manufacturing have left that sprocket perfect. What kills a sprocket is chain stretch. When the chain stretches it is too long to mesh perfectly with the gear and at it meshes it wears the shoulders off of the gear. I will shoot a pic, but I'm tellin' you, it's remarkable in its condition. Although I lead the league in second-guessing, that one is a slam dunk.

Thanks for your comments.
    Last edited by 93 525 Paul; 02-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

Not much progress the last couple days. Didn't recall that there was a gasket between the oil pickup and the pump. Pickup was warped so I flat sanded it on a glass block I use for surfacing and it looks perfect.

Real OEM shows a gasket (#7)

So I guess if the dealer doesn't have it I will make one.

Also, the pump gear pic, it's a bit fuzzy, but you see the teeth are nice and wide shouldered, no wear at all

And a pic of how the pump just gleams sitting on the block. Shot shows front cover and damper installed

By the way, do I HAVE to use the lighter damper that came with the 325 shortblock or can I go with the nicer heavier e34 dampener?
    Last edited by 93 525 Paul; 02-28-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

No. 7 was part of a TSB for engine ping caused by air being sucked in with oil--they have to have it somewhere. I don't remember how much it was when I bought it, but I'm sure that it was some rediculous amount like $15 or such.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Long pauses between...

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    No. 7 was part of a TSB for engine ping caused by air being sucked in with oil--they have to have it somewhere. I don't remember how much it was when I bought it, but I'm sure that it was some ridiculous amount like $15 or such.
    Dealer didn't have it so I made one from gasket material. Maybe I'm lucky they didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I...appreciate your stick-to-it-edness, granted, with long pauses between periods of recalling where you left off...
    Dave
    Well trying to recall where I left off and where I left stuff. Thought it was all in two places, bagged and tagged. Not entirely, couldn't find the dowels that go between the block and head, so I couldn't install the head. Tried to make a couple of dowels but they fit the block and I assumed they'd fit the head as well, but NOOOOO. Couldn't get the head to drop down over the dowels. So, eff it, found the part numbers and ordered some from theBMWPartStore.com. Worth checking them out, they have a nice search dealie where you put in your parts numbers and it gives you the item description and price. Good pricing, comparable to the best, BMA, AutoHausAZ and the rest.

Here she is with the front cover and pan on

Cheers!

Dayum. Just installed the head last night and torquing the head bolts (new) to 22 ft lb then 90* then another 90* was a chore. I weigh 200 and lift weights and can bench 140% of my body weight but that was a b*tch. Even using a breaker bar. Man, I needed more leverage and a less top heavy engine/engine stand setup. Holy crap!
    Last edited by 93 525 Paul; 03-07-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Default More Progress

The bagged and tagged bits are coming in handy about now. Many of the baggies are empty and the engine stand is starting to feel like it has a load on it.
    Head on, primary chain installed, timed. Used a 1/2" socket in the chain tensioner collar finger tight to put manual tension on the chain. Secondary chain installed, timed, clocked and ready for Vanos installation. On hold at the minute awaiting the Beisan o-ring kit. Vanos piston seemed awfully free in the bore and on further inspection the o-ring under the teflon ring (the one that's supposed to provide wall tension) is hard as rock. Viton o-ring and a new teflon o-ring ordered.

Long block with few accessories

Long block with some of the accessories installed, vanos housing sitting in place, no piston in the bore just yet.

Default More Progress

Got a bit of work done over the weekend. Stormy weather was perfect for some garage time.
    Rebuilt the vanos with the kit from Beisan Systems and followed their directions. The old o-ring beneath the teflon o-ring was hard as a rock and provided virtually no wall tension. The new viton o ring (not exactly a bargain at $30 for a viton o-ring and a teflon 0-ring but hey, it made sense) provides really good wall tension. Huge difference in manually moving the vanos piston old versus new.

Followed the pelicanparts.com instructions on vanos installation, better than the others I've seen. He makes the point that you want the "first slot" when you have the ex cam sprocket bolts loose and have the secondary chain turned all the way clockwise before you insert the vanos gear. As the gear is inserted the secondary chain will turn back to the left a bit, counterclockwise. What isn't pointed out is that you can try the vanos gear in several positions until you minimize how far CC the secondary chain assy has to turn. In this pic I show an engagement that is a half tooth off. I found one that was almost spot on. You have to expect mother Beemer did that for a reason.

and buttoned up the top end. Left the spark plugs and COPs off for now. I want to spin it with the starter with the plugs out to build oil pressure before firing it. Background is cluttered, but I couldn't leave the Super Cobra Jet Mustang out in the hail.

May be a good idea to start a 4L30E rebuild thread. There were several lessons therein, but one of the best things I did was download and read a document I found at http://scottj.info/files/isuzu/4l30e.pdf it's titled "GENERAL MOTORS® Hydra-Matic 4L30-E automatic transmission Assembly manual by Hans Verhoeven New Zealand 2008" and it's pure gold. Nicely written step by step assembly with good color pics and part by part references all including the part name and reference number. I read it several times and printed it out in color and put it in a binder. Also got the ATSG manual that is in b/w and uses illlustrations. On tear down I used a zillion baggies and used the numbers from the reference chart. God bless Hans Verhoeven...

Very impressive. You got skills!
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

So I have the remanned tc in there and mated the tranny to the engine. Have the hoist and am readying to poke it in there. Before I do, I want to fill the tranny. Pelican Technical Article: BMW Automatic Transmission Fluid Change
    recommends I drop the front sump pan and fill it and install it. Worth the trouble and new gasket or no? Was thinking I'd lean the engine tranny over on its side a bit and overfill it a skosh rather than drop the front pan...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast