GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: getting into a trunk that is really locked

Default getting into a trunk that is really locked

I am going to look at a '90 525i this weekend that apparently has an issue with its trunk
    (which is that there is no key and it doesn't unlock when you unlock the doors). supposedly it's in good shape otherwise.

The owner says I just need to get a new lock from bmw but that doesn't make any sense. I'm guessing the wiring is cracked at the usual spot in the trunk hinge. I have a replacement lock and key, but how do you get into it to replace the lock? or.... do you?

So, the key that he has works on the doors and ignition, but not the trunk? That would only be the case if it's a valet key or if the other locks were replaced on everything but the trunk. The dealer could probably supply a key based on the VIN. You're probably right about the broken wires at the hinge. Unfortunately, there's no good way to get to the lock mechanism or the wiring break without damaging the closed lid.
    Last edited by BennyM; 02-18-2011 at 04:48 PM.

1995 525i 5-Speed 201,000mi

I dont have remote locking and mine works like the seller's: unlocking at the doors does not unlock the boot. Except of course that when you insert my key into the bootlid lock it opens and unlocks the doors. Never considered this a fault but perhaps I should?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Might be a good idea to look at the fuses too; I remember a busted one (7A) that prevented the right side from unlocking all doors on mine. I'm likely wrong though.

hmmm well i went and looked at the car and in the end it doesn't matter - yeah right "I never put more than $30 in at a time so i don't know if the gas tank leaks or not" BAAAAAHAAAHAHAHA sure now i believe everything else you just told me too.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    Might be a good idea to look at the fuses too; I remember a busted one (7A) that prevented the right side from unlocking all doors on mine. I'm likely wrong though.
    no i think that would be the best place to look first thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    I dont have remote locking and mine works like the seller's: unlocking at the doors does not unlock the boot. Except of course that when you insert my key into the bootlid lock it opens and unlocks the doors. Never considered this a fault but perhaps I should?
    well i'm sure your wheels are in better shape than this guy's he really did a number on his car (worse than me!) but worst comes to worst - i spoke with my mechanic (worked for bmw for 20 yrs or something) and he said that it is relatively easy to drill out the lock and open it manually using the 'arms' attached to the locking mechanism, you just need a replacement lock

just in case - you do know wc that you can set the trunk lock either to open with the doors or not right? you just change the position of the trunk lock keyhole from horizontal to vertical.

alright well that was a fun thread haha i still can't get over what the guy told me about the gas tank that's so funny.

yes the "trunk" can be locked independent of the doors....also the trunk can be unlocked and "sticky"If the key unlocks the doors then just try yankin on the lid .
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    I am going to look at a '90 525i this weekend that apparently has an issue with its trunk
    (which is that there is no key and it doesn't unlock when you unlock the doors). supposedly it's in good shape otherwise.

The owner says I just need to get a new lock from bmw but that doesn't make any sense. I'm guessing the wiring is cracked at the usual spot in the trunk hinge. I have a replacement lock and key, but how do you get into it to replace the lock? or.... do you?
    Take it to a locksmith?