GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: oil vanos line/pipe

Default oil vanos line/pipe

I am changing the oil vanos line pipe (#10 in the diagram RealOEM.com * BMW E34 525i Cylinder Head Vanos). There is a banjo bolt with gasket rings. I have two questions:
    1) gasket rings/washers I purchased two kinds: aluminum and copper with the same size. Which one is better to put there, copper or aluminum?
    2) Do I need any special glue or plastic o-ring or something so that it does not leak with banjo bolt connecting to the oil pipe? Since oil goes through there, it looks like it can leak very easily around aluminum/copper rings.
    Thanks

Default is there any trick or straightforward

Would anyone, who has done this job in the past, like to share the experience? Any tip is appreciated.

I replaced mine right before winter. I don't remember having an option for copper or aluminum, but I think mine were copper. There is no glue needed. Because of the tight fit under the intake manifold, I wasn't able to torque the lower side to spec, but the fitments haven't leaked at all. Still annoyed by how much that thing cost, though.

Here are some images from a post of mine, which has since vanished somehow, regarding that banjo bolt hidden under the intake and how to get to it with socket extensions:

1995 525i 5-Speed 201,000mi

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM View Post
    I replaced mine right before winter. I don't remember having an option for copper or aluminum, but I think mine were copper. There is no glue needed. Because of the tight fit under the intake manifold, I wasn't able to torque the lower side to spec, but the fitments haven't leaked at all. Still annoyed by how much that thing cost, though.

Here are some images from a post of mine, which has since vanished somehow, regarding that banjo bolt hidden under the intake and how to get to it with socket extensions:

Many thanks BennyM.
    I will follow your procedure since you have no leak. Thanks again.

Hi BennyM,
    Do you remember the torque? I appreciate if you could tell me that. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    Many thanks BennyM.
    I will follow your procedure since you have no leak. Thanks again.

Default Torque for the banjo bolt on the vanos line oil pipe

Hi BennyM,
    Do you remember the torque? I appreciate if you could tell me that. I could not find it in Bentley. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM View Post

Last edited by keystone; 03-07-2011 at 09:00 PM.