GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1995 E34 525i, want to change steering wheel

Default 1995 E34 525i, want to change steering wheel

Hey guys,

I have a 1995 E34 525i and I am wanting to replace my steering wheel. I have the wheel as depicted below:

It is the same wheel used in some E36s, as below:

I am wanting to replace my current wheel with the same "model" wheel, so it's not like I'm deactivating airbag functionality or anything like that, just a direct replacement with newer leather.

I haven't pulled off a steering wheel before, and am wanting to use my father-in-law's expertise (he's an ex-Ford mechanic) and he's asking me if I know if I need to use a steering wheel puller tool?

I don't think I do, isn't it just a case of disconnecting the battery, undo the torx bolts behind the wheel, pull out the airbag, undo the bolt in the middle, and pull off the wheel? Do you think I need a breaker bar?

Does anyone know of any comprehensive instructions on how to swap over the steering wheel? I have googled around but most if not all are about swapping a wheel for an E36, or a wheel for a 1990 E34, which I believe uses a completely different setup.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by LunatiC; 01-13-2011 at 07:56 PM.

38 views and no replies? Surely one of you out there have swapped a steering wheel out?

Quote Originally Posted by LunatiC View Post
    38 views and no replies? Surely one of you out there have swapped a steering wheel out?
    Pffft! Slackers are everywhere these days!

You just need:

the right socket (27mm?)
    a 1/2" ratchet
    3"+ extension bar.
    1/4" flat screwdriver, without sharp edges

1. Insert ignition key, turn to position 1 to disable lock steering mechanism.
    You may need someone to hold the wheel if the nut is really tight (a la factory).
    2. Once the nut is loose a few mm, leave it well screwed on so when you do step 3, the wheel doesn't hit you in the face when it springs off.
    3. Sitting in the driver's seat pull the wheel directly towards you. If its factory, you have to p*u*l*l hard...

People screw up by breaking the steering lock
    Putting the wheel back on crooked (wtch where it is and what you do whilst putting it back on)
    Breaking the plastic lever that operates the indicator auto-off switch.

Replacement is the reverse of removal, but take care not to put it on in the straight position... (I usully turn mine 20 degrees or so before removal and put them back on like that), as one needs to avoid pushing the tab near the spline over the plastic lever (look down and note where it is near the spline once the wheel is off, Also note the lock mechanism by turning the ignition switch from position 0 to position 1 and make sure you never atempt any part of this procedure without disabling the lock first.).

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks for the tip genfreak, much appreciated.

disconnect your battey first unless you really like the red airbag light on the dash!

You really did describe the howto yourself, no breakerbar needed tho!

Oh and remember to mark the exact position of the the steering wheel with a marker or scratching a line before pulling it off or you will have hell realigning it (dont ask me how I know)
    Last edited by Bo525i; 01-18-2011 at 04:08 AM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

How long are you supposed to leave the battery disconnected for?

Quote Originally Posted by LunatiC View Post
    How long are you supposed to leave the battery disconnected for?
    As long as it takes to do the job! I have never waited for the system to "power down" after disconnecting the battery and removing an air bag.

As a fail safe I also have the Peake airbag light reset tool (google R5/SRS). Sort of becomes a necessity when you have an older e39. Look at the car wrong and the damn light pops on....
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Heh, and I do believe the factory procedure includes dropping the lower column panel to disconnect the safety connector too... but huh, why do this- who is scared of a puffy bag (that hits you like a truck)... LOL!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!