GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: help!!changed capacitors but guages don't work.

Default help!!changed capacitors but guages don't work.

hi guys, need help again. i've been messing around with my instrument panel changing capacitors and even swapping out an instrument panel but i 'm still having same problems with temp and fuel guages not working. the mpg meter, odometer, and everthing else is dead also. the only thing working is the tach, speedometer and the idiot lights.

i've read the repair procedures at e34 website and it was talking about a coding plug but i can't find mine. the car is a 89 535i, build date of 11/88. any help would be greatly appreciated.

another thing is the obc is not working also, shows pppp but i can't reset it. thanks in advance.

Default Unfortunately, changing the caps will only fix those

problems caused by caps. Sounds like you have other issues, as well. I have an '89 535i 12/88. My cluster works 100% after changing caps, but it was mostly working before. If I was in your position, I think I would try to get a salvaged cluster from a car near your build date (but in no case before). OBCs are plentiful on ebay, etc. I paid $50 for mine. Could be the OBC isn't working due to cluster problems. If it was me, I'd replace both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by jm529
    hi guys, need help again. i've been messing around with my instrument panel changing capacitors and even swapping out an instrument panel but i 'm still having same problems with temp and fuel guages not working. the mpg meter, odometer, and everthing else is dead also. the only thing working is the tach, speedometer and the idiot lights.

i've read the repair procedures at e34 website and it was talking about a coding plug but i can't find mine. the car is a 89 535i, build date of 11/88. any help would be greatly appreciated.

another thing is the obc is not working also, shows pppp but i can't reset it. thanks in advance.

thanks warren, i did replace the instrument panel with another one. this one had a new mother board in it but still have the same problems as my old one.

anything else that i can try? where is the coding plug on these? it's not on the instrument panel like the newer ones. thanks in advance.