GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery cold hard start issue – 89 525i M20

Default Mystery cold hard start issue – 89 525i M20

If I had hair to pull out! I would!
    So here is the situation , car has 70,000 miles on it. Had been sitting with little driving so over the last month or so I have been sorting out the issues and fixing as I go. Many service items needed attention and I have completed the following
    1. all fluids and filters including fuel filter
    2. valves lashed to spec (X2)
    3. R/R O2 sensor
    4. Eliminated all vacuum leaks
    5. R/R Engine temp sensor ( blue top)
    6. R/R plugs
    7. R/R rotor/cap
    8. R/R injectors

she has gone from a rough , low power , gas eating car to a smooth as silk engine, with plenty of power , and much better gas mileage. Once warm or for that fact any time after the first ( cold start) of the day she runs well…..perfect
    Here is the scenario
    • Come out after a cold night , 40 or so in the garage. Car cranks and cranks , them will fire , but I really got to work on it. This will sometimes take a full minute or so of cranking.
    • The exhaust once started smells pretty rich to me
    • I not 100% sure it is the cold temp , or just sitting that is the issue
    • Once it does fire the next 60 seconds or so , perhaps two minutes , if I press on the gas she wants to die, like cars of old that had choke stuck open

After this - she runs perfect. Idle is rock steady at 800, no vibrations, sounds great . I can start and stop it all day long

I am at a loss, I have searched but most items that were thought of as culprits I have addressed.

Any ideas or things I should check ???

R/R?

-replace/clean ignition wiring
    -replace/clean ignition coil

I might also say fuel pressure regulator. Maybe test residual pressure / or wait 30 secs with ignition on before starting to crank.

battery with no corroded connections.

just thoughts.

thanks , battery is new, I am going to check coil tonight ,

the wires are clean, connections are good as well, all checked with cap and rotor replacement ,I did not check coil but will per bently manual. What about crank posisiton sensor , can they be intermitantly bad??
    I will check pressures as well, but that may have to wait till I get more time. thanks

I am in a similar boat but have a theory. With my '90 M20 when I start in the morning, most times it will fire fine, it is typically at lunch on a cold day that I have the problem. This morning though it happened right off. Here's what mine is doing:

If will usually fire immediately first try then die right away. It will then take me cranking for long periods of time with my foot to the floor during which the engine will have little fires but nothing enough to start the car. Then it will get enough fire to start at which time I have to pump the throttle to get it to "clean out" and keep it running (5-10 sec). then all is good and running smooth. It would do this randomly for the last year no matter the temp, maybe every 4-6 weeks but now that it's cold out it does it quite often. Sometimes I have to crank till the battery is almost dead (the battery is new).

My theory:

My fuel pump has been making noise for some time and is getting louder. I think the fuel pump is going and not putting out the pressure it is supposed to.

Does this make sense?

If throttle opening causes it to stumble chances are it's lean rather than rich. Double check the temp sensor.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I've been having similar issues with my m20 and am pretty close to giving up also I know one thing that often is a reported cause of trouble is the connector to the fuel injector wiring... the big round one that is on the ds of the engine. If you ever had a coolant leak from the throttle body warmer then the coolant might have run into the connector and caused some corrosion there.

In my situation if I do a computer reset then the problem goes away for a little bit but comes back fairly quickly. I still have to check the wiring to the oxygen sensor heater... not sure if that could lead to this kind of trouble but I will check that in the spring. My fuel pump is also noisy but I have replaced the pump and it didn't change anything... have to check to see if there is any resistance in that circuit anywhere... I suppose the place to check that would be between the fuel pump relay and the connector in the trunk (which could itself be a problem)

Frustrating, isn't it. Mine runs very well also once it has started. Good luck with it and please let us know!

doubt O2 would cause this, but may be a contributor, check your fuel pressures , system and rest to rule them out, like I did. Mine were fine. I will check the injector connection, but last time I was there is was good.
    How does one "reset the computer"
    I am still leaning to electrical CPS is on order

Cranks forever to start and falls on it's face on throttle opening when cold, right? It's lean, no cold enrichment.
    Spray some fuel (carb cleaner) into the intake next cold start to richen the mixture and watch it pop right over.
    Not the crank sensor, they work or they don't albeit sometimes intermittantly. Put the CPS in the glovebox as it's one of the more common causes of a no spark condition.
    Last edited by Ross; 12-23-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

so what do you suggest is the problem?

I'm with Ross. It's likely the coolant temperature sensor. IIRC, it's supposed to measure 2.5K ohms at 60 degrees,and resistance will fall as the temperature rises. So if the ohms are way low, it's bad.
    Here's what the sensor for an M20 engine looks like: http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._94E6B777.aspx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast